Wood burning stove - flue requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to install a 5/6 kw wood burning stove into our existing fireplace area. The flue has never been used since the house was built in 1970, the chimney has a clay lined pots liner through it. I want to install the stove and use the existing liner but the stove shop tell me that I really must have a stainless steel liner installed. Apparently this is not a building reg's requirement but the shop advise me that the clay liner will not cope with the stove installation and I will have problems in six months time with tarring of the flue and I will be back for a stainless liner to be installed. They will not fit the stove unless I have the stainless liner installed at a cost of around 1200 pounds.
I know that stoves are very efficient and nothing like the heat from an open fire will exhaust into the flue from the stove. I assume this is why the shop tell me that tarring problems will occur. I feel that the shop are over playing the need for a stainless liner. Comments and advise gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
you need to comply with part "J" off the building regs you need to inform building control before commencement fit to standard including a class 1 liner and at your cost have it checked by building control

or have it fitted by a hetas registered installer who will self certify

"Tarring the flue". There is no tar in wood, unless you intend to burn old railway sleepers.

Sponsored Links
good luck

and remember if you have mains gas

a wood burner is an expensive time consuming life style choice
unless you have access to several tonnes off free timber
then its your time fuel and storage for several tonnes whilst it seasons ;)

good luck

True enough, no free fuel sadly, still the up side is how fit it will keep me, or rather get me fit :LOL: All that lugging and logging!

good luck

depends where you obtain your wood.....

up north I can get 3 square meters of seasoned and mainly hardwood logs for around £120, downside is moving them from drop-point to store point
...........this keeps me VERY warm!!!!
pallets are freely available and only require cutting up - again a warming job

.........we have an open fire, but 3m2 lasts nearly all winter and saves a significant amount of gas!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that a dedicated wood burner is much more efficient!

..........my point is that carefully sourced combustible materials CAN save you money, they are also much more pleasant to sit in front of!!!!!

..................if you cannot be bothered "ringing" around however they are crippling expensive pieces of furniture! :rolleyes:

good luck

depends where you obtain your wood.....

up north I can get 3 square meters of seasoned and mainly hardwood logs for around £120, downside is moving them from drop-point to store point
...........this keeps me VERY warm!!!!
pallets are freely available and only require cutting up - again a warming job

.........we have an open fire, but 3m2 lasts nearly all winter and saves a significant amount of gas!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that a dedicated wood burner is much more efficient!

..........my point is that carefully sourced combustible materials CAN save you money, they are also much more pleasant to sit in front of!!!!!

..................if you cannot be bothered "ringing" around however they are crippling expensive pieces of furniture! :rolleyes:

All very true, around here (Suffolk/Norfolk) the logs are quite expensive at 70-110 quid for a builders bulk bag (c/m). Quite a number of suppliers now as some see it as an easy money making opportunity I guess. I have even seen willow discribed as hardwood! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back