wood burning stoves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully some one out there can help, what are the main types of wood burning stoves, which is the best, and why a vast difference in prices, £200-£1000 ? Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
Clearview stoves are expensive-ish, but good, getting on for £800 to £1000 I would expect as are Dunsley and several others. If you go to the other end of the range, many are far eastern imports and are merely a box. Their combustion efficiency is poor, and the emissions are excessive. Go for a good one, they use much less wood.

just remember the installation costs can far exceed the cost off the stove
as the flue will probably need lined it needs to be installed by a hetas engineer or via building control to standard with certification at your cost

You get what you pay for, a lot of design goes into to making an efficient stove. A cheap stove won't last very long either due to poor quality materials.

This is a good place for reviews:
http://www.whatstove.co.uk/

Go round the local showrooms and get hands on with a few and ask loads of questions - you'll soon see where the extra money goes. I went to three local showrooms which must have had 50 stoves between them on display - they were all selling established names and the cheapest 4kw was still £750, (available a little cheaper online).

Don't go near the Chinese junk that places like Machine Mart sell, they are only fit for a workshop at best. :)

Also, what do you want to burn in it - wood, coal, briquettes etc? Size of the room, type of property what sort of opening you have are all factors too.

I bought a Morso 1412 and very pleased with it, great build quality and easy to control.

Sponsored Links
Years ago I fitted a cheap pot bellied stove... It had so many air gaps in it that the rate of burn was uncontrollable... over a few months I noticed that the whole stove was softening and it wilted..... The ex mother in law still has it in her garden filled with soil with plants growing from it.... She liked the interesting shape..

I had one fitted 3 years ago, and rarely use it now. We really cn't be bothered withe hassle. Fortunately, it isn't in the main lounge.

Thanks for all the replies, we have looked at a few this morning, and quite like the Broseley Serrano 5, anyone experienced any problem with these ? Thanks Dave

You should also consider spending a little more & going for a multi-fuel stove, gives you the best of both worlds. I don’t know what sort of heat output you’re after but fossil fuel throws out a lot of heat, useful when it’s really cold outside. We burn (free) wood most of the time but back it up with Anthracite; it can be a bit like trying to set fire to stones if you try it from cold so I always get the stove up & running before stoking it up; it burns for a long time so usually only need to stoke it once during the evening.

I won’t bore you with all the detail or my standard stove post now but you need to understand that installing a stove or open fire is controlled building work.

You should also consider spending a little more & going for a multi-fuel stove, gives you the best of both worlds. I don’t know what sort of heat output you’re after but fossil fuel throws out a lot of heat, useful when it’s really cold outside. We burn (free) wood most of the time but back it up with Anthracite; it can be a bit like trying to set fire to stones if you try it from cold so I always get the stove up & running before stoking it up; it burns for a long time so usually only need to stoke it once during the evening.

I won’t bore you with all the detail or my standard stove post now but you need to understand that installing a stove or open fire is controlled building work.

Thanks rich, I am aware that it will be under building regs

Thanks for all the replies, we have looked at a few this morning, and quite like the Broseley Serrano 5, anyone experienced any problem with these ? Thanks Dave

had you been deciding in between more brands? at first i wanted just woodburning stove, but now i am thinking of multiburning as well to have more choices. anybody knows ecoburn brand? they have multifuel stoves , its in my town,would be easy to pick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back