Wood floor gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had this oak floor a few years now. Really happy with it. About a year after fitting this gap appeared.

What would you do? Filler? Wood to infill? Leave it alone?

I wouldn't be that bothered it's just right in front of a door...

Attachments

• 15936407723627132149804456370635.jpg
    15936407723627132149804456370635.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 239
Sponsored Links
You may be able to nudge it to fill the gap if there is enough under the skirting board to the left. Or maybe from the other side depending what's there

yes looks like a "loose plank" so you need to "work " back into position with grippy shoes or other method then work out a way to secure in position assuming it moves again

Not sure about that. I saw him doing it. Each plank was nailed to the floorboards I'm fairly sure, will the planks move easily? .. He seemed to use a special nailer.

Sponsored Links
He might have forgotten or not bothered nailing the last short plank. Give it a kick with your trainers on and see if it moves. If it does kick it back open, put some wood glue in the joint and kick it shut.

Thanks. Had a good kick, not budging. Any other idea ? Filler seems unsophisticated!

that gap is so in your face that its like forgetting to hang the door
as the rest we can see looks 100% that simply must be loose or a complete brain fart and missed
send him a picture and iff he [she]is not horrified i will be very very surprized

Thanks for all the replies.

The board is definitely not for moving and I've messaged the guy who fitted this a few years ago, but no reply.

How would you approach it, is it DIYable or something a joiner could make look a bit better?

Really appreciate the advice.

Because all edges are chamfered its going to be difficult to get the Ballance right
try using medium oak coloured filler as slightly darker would look less in your face
as the edge is chamfered the joint is in a "V" shape
try increasing to form a slightly shallower angle this may help disguise the greater width and slightly deeper v groove

I'm not a floorer, but I'd have my multitool out, cut a little square out of the bottom of the skirting to hook one of those flooring tools over the end of the board and hammer it back, make good skirting.

Whats to the right of the photo? That board may move left.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back