Wood floor in bathroom!

N

Nim

Hi

I want to put an oak floor in our bathroom - it will sit over the existing floor as it's easier than replacing it all. Thing is, I've looked in B&Q and their wood floors all say they aren't suitable for bathrooms. As I'll be using solid wood boards, surely they MUST be suitable? Do they need to be treated with something specific to make them more water resistant? Or are B&Q just covering their backs in case the boards get too wet and rot?

Ta
Nim

Sponsored Links
In 'wet' areas it's best to use wood-engineered flooring, but most are indeed not suited for very wet i.e. bathrooms. Solids could cup very easy.

I know you said oak, and oak is very nice, but as one of the regulars here says, wood likes water as long as it's a tree, but after that....

Have you looked at bamboo?

Replaced my floorboards with new pine boards which I osmo oiled about a year ago and no sign of cupping yet. Early days perhaps.

But what would worry me, being a bit of a worryer and not having that much knowledge in this area, is the idea of sitting the new boards on top of the old ones. I imagine the joints would not be water tight thus water may be able to pass though the top layer then be trapped between them and the old ones causing damp/mould/rot etc.

P.S. Against WoodYouLike's advice I screwed those boards to the joists rather than nailing as it was a small room and not worth hireing the nail gun.

Sponsored Links
ABN said:
But what would worry me, being a bit of a worryer and not having that much knowledge in this area, is the idea of sitting the new boards on top of the old ones. I imagine the joints would not be water tight thus water may be able to pass though the top layer then be trapped between them and the old ones causing damp/mould/rot etc.
You should glue the T&G (completely) with PVAC wood-glue, which seals it prefectly off against water coming through from the 'top-floor' between the two floors, seal the bottom and top of the skirting boards with transparante silicon etc.
It wouldn't prevent 'disasters' (like large spillage) but for normal day to day use it should do the trick.
I still advice Wood-engineered floorboards in bathrooms, much more stable than solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back