Wood hardener or wood preservative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had an issue with rotten wooden window frame. I have scraped out the rotten wood as far back until it no longer scrapes off. The wood still seems a little damp and soft but not soft enough to Scrape any more out and it looks healthy. What is the best solution to use when it comes to treatment? I have been told to use wood hardener, but I have also seen some wood preservatives which say they soke into the wood to kill fungus. I just want to be 100% sure that any remaining fungus is killed.

Sponsored Links
best solution cutout all soft wood and splice in new wood and glue into place without any filler
in the real world remove all soft material or as much as practical [at least say 90%]
use hardner [this does no more than hairspray holding loosish material together and ads zero strength] use filler sparingly with all exposed edges replacement timber and filler as an infill

Thanks big-all

Is there any particular glue that would be best used in this situation? Or will standard wood glue do the trick?

You need to dry the timber and deal with the cause of any dampness first

Sponsored Links
Hi woody

The source of the damp was failed sealant on the bathroom tiles so it will be fixed once the tiles are replaced.

It is already feeling dryer this morning which is good. Is there anything I can do to aid the drying process? Or am I better to just leave it?

Warmth and air flow is best for drying. But you do need to be sure not the trap any moisture in the timber with the work and then the finished coatings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back