Wood Preserve or just Stain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to fit a new external yard door (Wooden), I really want it to last, and I am not sure as to how to finish it - use wood preseve then stain, creosote then stain, or just stain (Ronseal woodstain) any suggsstions would be helpful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I presume it will be exposed to the weather.
So it will get wet and go rotten.

I would always give several flowing coats of Cuprinol Clear or similar to preserve it

Then when dry a water-repellent stain (as for fences) or an oil (linseed is cheap and good). These waxy stains allow the wood to breathe and are very easy to recoat (no sanding down or stripping required) as well as cheap.

You can't buy creosote any more as it is too toxic and anyway it doesn't protect as well as cuprinol.

Try to protect it from the rain, even if you just nail some lead or roofing felt to the top

amallam said:
I intend to fit a new external yard door (Wooden), I really want it to last, .............

Then make it from oak heartwood this will not rot. (Well, not in your lifetime)

Sponsored Links
MICROPOROUS PAINT

i dont get to say that too often but it works, it sticks on oak whereas most paints wont

SADOLIN

bloody expensive scandinavian woodpreserver which also works (anything scandinavian works)

if you spend all that cash on paint, you have to have a top rail that covers any end grain. I wouldnt normally bother with one but hey...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back