Wood to look/feel like concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Just setting up a window showroom and have poured concrete cills for a 3 segment bay.

I want to eliminate the weight of concrete mullions but still want to have them there.

Im thinking of making a mullion from ply, mitered to the correct angle and possible painting? or skimming something on the front that will give that concrete look?

Any ideas would be great thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
light grey masonry paint

it will help the illusion if you use the same paint on nearby concrete, e.g. floor.

or build in lightweight blocks and render with cement and sharo (gritty concreting) sand

Cheers for the reply John,

Just thinking the concrete will have a slightly rough look to it and the smooth finish of say ply or mdf?

Good idea to pant them both grey though i like it :)

Would it be worth nailing some mesh to it and rendering it?

Thanks again :)

what about giving them a smear of something like artex before painting?

Sponsored Links
Yeah Thermo,

Thought like a quick whack over with some skim or as you've said artex, Would it adhere to upright wood or would i need to key it in someway?

should be fine for what you want to do. Its the sort of thing they do all the time for scenery etc for theatres

mdf finnished with polyfilla with sand thrown in and painted with 2 coats

Latex floor screed (powder) painted on :idea: I actually did it to make a "stone" slab which I then aged with airbrush painting ...looked pretty good ;)

Thanks guys,

Just made the mullions today from chipboard, am going to plasterboard and skim them, then paint them grey with sand added to the paint as suggested above :) Hope this will work?

Ill see how it look and hopefully post some pics at a later date when its finished!

Thanks again for the replys guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back