Wood undercoat and rollers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone could offer some advice....but not mock me when it's obvious that ive just been silly!

My previous experience of using satin paint on wood was with a foam roller as it gave a smooth finish and I hate brush marks.

So I used undercoat with a similar roller and the ronseal primer undercoat went on beautifully....however I had to swap to dulux primer undercoat and the same cannot be said. It was bobby before it dried... .as if my roller was wet (it wasn't).

I painted about 80 % of a large amount of wood work with the roller and ronseal so I know it's not my technique.....I thought maybe the roller?

I hate brush marks and unfortunately they are all the way through the dulux undercoat down my stairs handrail.

Any thoughts or advice?

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though you have air bubbles in the Dulux primer/UC. BTW I assume that you are talking about the waterbased stuff.

The Dulux stuff tends to be thicker than most other brands. You can either add a little bit of water or even better, add some Floetrol which aids flow rather than simply thinning the paint.

I am not a fan foam rollers because they do tend to increase the likelihood of air bubbles. I prefer very short mohair type rollers but they are only suitable for flat surfaces..

In all honestly, I prefer very minimal tramlines (brushmarks) to a very slight orange peel effect.

I use Floetrol as an additive for waterbased paints and Owatrol oil for oil based paints. Neither is particularly cheap to buy but you only need to use a little bit of either and both help the (respective) paints to flow and level out.

It goes without saying that a decent brush is also requisite. Unfortunately the DIY sheds do not, as far as I am aware, sell decent brushes. You might need to find a proper decorators merchant in order to buy a decent American branded brush made by someone like Purdy, Wooster or Corona.

The existing paint flaws can be sanded out using sterate coated silicone carbide sandpaper. Be advised that the dulux paint may clog the paper pretty quickly though. Most waterbased paints are a pain to sand flat. The sterate coating helps to reduce the degree of paper clogging.

Best of luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back