Wood worktop cupping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have installed my first ever wood worktop. It seemed to go ok and I made sure I used over sized holes and washers at the front where the worktop is solid and slotted brackets at the back (slot perpendicular to grain).

I oiled several times ( all sides) before installation and the top again after installation.

I came to put the wood up stands on today and noticed a slight bit of cupping across the worktop, maybe 3mm dip. Is this something I can resolve, or is it just something that happens and should I scribe the upstand to the worktop?

Also, how many fittings should I have securing the worktop to the units? I currently have 4 per kitchen unit, one in each corner. Is this too many?

Thanks for any help, this is the first time I have ever done this. Enjoying it, in a stressful kind of way!

Sponsored Links
If it's a 40mm top, I doubt you can forcibly remove the cupping. I've just been oiling mine, and you've made me go and check mine.

Did you leave an expansion gap >5mm at the wall?

I'd scribe the upstands and carry on.

I've got insulation up at wall and will be fixing the worktops to batten underneath the worktop, they are place every 400mm so I'll probably start the fixings every other batten and see how strong it is, failing that, will fix at 400mm centres.

Did you use OSMO or Danish?

Yep I've got the 5mm gap. It is a 40mm worktop and has only happened where there is a butt joint to another piece in an L shape so it's probably related to that. Anyway, it's only a couple of mills (at most) and not visible to the eye. In fact, I just checked my upstands now and they are not straight along the edge anyway so will need scribing regardless.

I use Danish oil. The worktops actually came pre-oiled as I had some prefab work done to them but I am using Danish oil as I know it's compatible with the factory oil.

Wondered if you could biscuit them together if you had a jointer?
Probably not worth the hassle for a couple of mm.

I can recommend the finish of OSMO, first time i've used it, and it's a really nice finish, I denibbed in between coats.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I biscuit jointed and bolted the worktops together but otherwise kept that joint dry. I don't really want any physical joint between the upstands and worktop other than a bit of silicone for sealing as I am concerned about the relative movements of the two pieces.

This is the first kitchen I have ever fitted so I don't have a lot of tools or know how, but I am happy with how it is turning out!

I may try OSMO the next time then, thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back