Wood worktop????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of getting a new kitchen .We are thinking of getting wood worktops as they look nice but do they stay nice ie with young kids etc

thanks nyck

Sponsored Links
I think the popular view is that these look the business when newly fitted but deterioate from day one in terms of appearance. For some, hygene issues as well. A Joiner friend of mine had one and 2 years later it looks awful. I work with wood for a living and wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. At the end of the day, theres some really nice laminates around which are cheap, easy to clean and wear better.

We are in the process of getting a new kitchen .We are thinking of getting wood worktops as they look nice but do they stay nice ie with young kids etc

thanks nyck

Depends what you mean by nice. If they are an oiled finish, they will be easier to maintain than other finishes, so they look reasonable. They need more attention than laminates, but look much better IMO. You have to accept knocks and dents, but cut marks are in excusable as the cuplrit should be trained before letting them loose on the worktop.

There is no problem at all with wood worktops and hygene. If you have dirty worktops they probably aren't hygenic.

My mother just had an oak one put in, shes oiled it like mad, where its away from the water is looks okay, but she has an under hung sink, and a routed drainer, its already blueing on the joins.

So wood but not water....

Sponsored Links
I make and fit many wooden worktops, I'd say go for it.
However, there are a few things to consider...

Make sure you buy from a reputable supplier, ie not cheap chinese imports.
They will need oiling on ALL sides after cutting, but before installing - I'd recommend 3 coats with particular attention to end grain.
All end grain needs to be properly sanded smooth and sealed.
ENSURE they are fitted to allow movement - an over size hole and washer is ideal.

Finally, the old addage of oiling once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and once a year there after is'nt far wrong.

Trust me, it may seem long winded, but it's not. It's only a rub down with an oily rag and you will have tops to be proud of :D

Oh, make sure you use scothbrite pad. It helps push the oil in and denibs at the same time.
Don't use wire wool, it may react with the tannins and leave purple/black specks.

Try not to cut on them - but you will. But, if you DO damage, burn, stain them, you can scrub/repair them almost invisibly.
After all, there're meant to be used.

My mother just had an oak one put in, shes oiled it like mad, where its away from the water is looks okay, but she has an under hung sink, and a routed drainer, its already blueing on the joins.

So wood but not water....

i agree - i love real wood worktops but they don't get on with sinks well.
i've got a bit of slate instead next to my sink/drainer.
i wouldn't dream of using one as a draining board unless you can be bothered to dry it down thoroughly after every use.

be careful of the type of products you use to clean them as well. i'm not that fastidious about scrubbing everything to medical standards myself, but modern strong cleaning products could help remove the protective oiled surface that you're trying to build up. apparently they can be naturally anti-bacterial.

Real wood worktops can look great, I have made and fitted them but would not have one myself. I love wood but not as a kitchen worksurface in a busy house. If you are a big fan of real wood and have the money and time to look after it then fine but I don't have a problem with laminate tops which just seem more sensible to me they always look cleaner. The best ones I have done were solid maple. Oak looks good but get any water and metal (iron/steel) against it and the tannin in the wood makes it go black - not a nice look. Some clients seem more interested in having a worktop to show off to people than a practical solution to a demanding practical application. Horses for courses. However we once had a client who left a plastic implement on the hob and it caught fire, burning a hole in the solid maple top. We just routed out the burnt bit and plugged it with another piece and were amazed how good the repair looked. Can't do that with a laminate one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back