Wooden board floor, flooded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Erm so my flat was flooded before with upstairs’ bath water

Ground floor flat

Which was great fun to clean up.

Council’s advice was to turn off the inlet water (smart!)

Anyway, I kinda just cleaned it up and forgot about it. (I don’t handle stress well. Especially with all the others stresses in life I had at the time)

Since then I’ve noticed at least a dozen silver fish wiggling around. But even a couple on the carpeted rooms, near the doors.

The idea of pulling up the wooden flooring boards (click together, vinyl) AND the carpets is really really not appealing to me

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to say this, but almost certainly you have moisture trapped beneath your vinyl and carpet. I'm surprised it hasn't started getting niffy in the warm weather. Normally after a flood all the finished flooring (vinyl, carpet, laminate, etc) needs to come up so the floor can be dried out thoroughly using a dehumidifier and fans

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to say yhis, but almost certainly you have moisture trapped beneath your vinyl and carpet. I'm surprised it hasn't started getting niffy in the warm weather. Normally after a flood all the finished flooring (vinyl, carpet, laminate, etc) needs to come up so the floor can be dried out thoroughly using a dehumidifier and fans
What’s my best approach to that?
One room at a time?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back