Wooden Floor Dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I am having a major dilema and would appreciate any advice anyone can give me. I am a complete amateur at this...

I've sanded the wooden floors in my lounge - they are pine, between about 10-20 years old. I want to stain and protect them but am having trouble coming up with the right product.

I am looking to change the colour to something like beech. I don't like the look of pine but don't want the wood to come up too dark as there is not a lot of natural light.

I was all ready to use Osmo Oil Wood Wax in Beech and finish with the Poly-oil, but I understand the surface will not be as durable as with a laquer/varnish and I won't want to have to do regular maintenance so would prefer a lacquer/varnish finish.

For varnishes I have been recommended Bona Traffic by some people but others have said this has not been so good. I was then also recommended Bourneseal, but on checking, it seems to have gone out of production. I understand also that Osmo Wood Wax finish stain, being oil based, wouldn't work with Bournseal anyway as they wouldn't be compatible.

Could someon please recommend a make of stain and a compatible make of varnish/lacquer that I can apply myself? Getting desperate as since sanding the floor marks with any kind of shoes and I have all the furniture out, and basically I can't use the space at all until I get this resolved.

Many many thanks for advice from those wiser than me!!!

Sorehead

Sponsored Links
dont be so hasty to eliminate the use of a hardwax oil. Yes they may not be as hard wearing as laquers like traffic but maintenence of an oil coated floor is not difficult and a lot easier to repair damaged areas.

If your floor gets scratched then its only a case of giving it a quick rub with a bit of sandpaper and rubbing a bit more oil on it, takes a few minutes maximum Most wooden floors we fit we coat in osmo or treatex oil (treatex is probably our preferred oil)

Thanks Burrwood, I totally understand what you are saying. I've decided to go for BONA Traffic though just on the basis that it does offer more durability.

I'd like to stain the floor first - can anyone recommend a make of stain (presumably water based) that they have used with or think would be compatible with BONA Traffic. I'm looking for a beech/light oak finish and the BONA Create range seems a little limited.

Many thanks for all you help!

Sorehead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back