Wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice would be grateful. I'm looking to lay a solid wood floor in my hallway. The problem is the hallway was tilled many years ago when the house was built(1912) and I don't want to disturb the tiles(too big a job for me). Is there any way I can lay the floor directly on these tiles. Someone recently suggested using an adheasive and securing using new skirking boards. Would this work??

Sponsored Links
In theory , yes , but wood is prone to movement and may come unstuck a few years down the line.You may be as well in gluing each piece, not only to the floor, but to each other as well. Personally I would treat the whole thing as a 'floating floor' by gluing the wood to each other and laying it all on a layer of insulation ( the expanded foam style ). This will raise the floor level slightly but if you can use the thinnest insulation you can it won't be too bad.Leave an expansion gap all round of 10-15mm to allow for any movement and fit skirting boards on top. Hope this is some help.

You will need to apply a dpc (polythene) if the tiles are laid on a concrete floor due to condensation, this will help atmospheric shrinkage and expansion.

Be warned as previous poster has noted, Lanimate floor expands like hell, solid wood flooring (usually 3-4 times as thick) is different, this is quality floor and should prove no problem....

Sponsored Links
dpc stands for Damp Proof Course ( to you and me a continious sheet of Material as mentioned i.e. polythene?

You may want to go to the web page for either the NWFA or NOFMA, both are top notch on information. NWFA is the NATIONAL WOOD FLOORING ASSOCIATION. NOFMA IS THE NATIONAL HARDWOODS FLOOR MFG. ASSOC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back