Wooden flooring onto concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I have a kitchen/dining room area which is currently floored with Marley (vinyl) tiles onto a concrete base. I know nothing of the construction of the base, and I'm assuming it's sound and decent.

What I want to do is to lay a wooden (well, bamboo, from these people) floor onto part of this floor (the dining area part).

From the advice on their site, they recommend gluing the floor straight to the substrate, but before I rush in and do that, I thought I'd take a little advice from here. Do you recommend gluing straight down, or laying a floating floor over a membrane/underlay of some sort? Should I attempt to remove the Marley tiles from the bit I'm going to put the wooden floor onto, or just leave them (please say "leave them" :) )?

Sponsored Links
pembrokestephen said:
(please say "leave them" :) )?

You can leave them if:
a) none are loose
b) you use a combination underlayment consisting of DPM (against any 'sweating' of the vinyl tiles) and sound-insulation

also, glue all the T&G's. Bamboo normally comes in small and short boards, only when you glue the T&G's completely you can install it floating.

WoodYouLike said:
pembrokestephen said:
(please say "leave them" :) )?

You can leave them if:
a) none are loose
b) you use a combination underlayment consisting of DPM (against any 'sweating' of the vinyl tiles) and sound-insulation

also, glue all the T&G's. Bamboo normally comes in small and short boards, only when you glue the T&G's completely you can install it floating.
OK, so lay it floating, but go for a combo underlay incorporating damp-proof membrane and sound insulation. Sounds like a Plan. Many thanks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back