Wooden joist to RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please advise me?
I am self building an extension to my 1930's semi (completing all work apart from the obvious gas/electric etc.)
Drawn the plans myself (they have already been approved by the council) and am currently compiling info for building regs
I have an existing kit extension (1970's) which extends 5m out from building and intend to build bedroom above but can only go out 3.5m (due to line of sight planning restrictions with neighbours)
Consequently, will nee RSJ/Lintol to take weight of 1st floor (& roof)
This RSJ will be approx 5m long
I want to sit the new floor joists into the reveal of the RSJ to create a more streamline profile in the downstairs ceiling
Do any of you have any links/drawings of how this can be done?
I have been reading this forum for some time and have already amassed a lot of information from previous posts but cannot find the above
I have yet to speak/submit to BC and will comply with everything they specify but want to enclose as comprehensive-an-application as possible and demonstrate that I'm doing my homework and not simply wading in!
Any help?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Infill the sides of the I beam with timber bolted through the web of the steel at regular intervals, then either use face fixed joist hangers or steel fixed

The floor load is insignificant (comparatively) and can normally be placed on the flange of the beam.

I don't think you will get away with not having a structural design on this though. The wall and roof dead load is quite substantial on its own and you have to account for snow and wind loads on top of that.

You will probably end up with two beams bolted together. The freebie type software that you might use for a simple beam won't handle compound beams.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info
I'm likley to go with statics suggestion (the fabricators gave similar advice)
thanks all for the input
Bubs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back