Wooden Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning Everyone

QQ relating to the above. We have purchased a 1890's 1900's renovation property in sunny Wales and we want to open up an internal wall in between two small rooms to make a larger living space.

The previous owner or local builder just wallpapered over everything (including PVC lighting cables) so you can easily see things in the wall. I noticed what looked like a previous doorway and started digging. I found that a previous doorway was indeed blocked up as I can see the lintel that was installed... A Wooden one!

Whats the thoughts on these? It's in good condition, no rot or damp. This is a solid wall, but i don't know if it is supporting. I guess I will have to lift a few floor boards upstairs and take a look. The majority of people I have spoken to say to leave it as it's been there for years, its dry and causing no issues, so dig out and crack on. But I would like to see what others think.

Thanks for your time!

Stewart

Attachments

• Lintel-Nice Wallpaper.jpg
    Lintel-Nice Wallpaper.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
Timber lintels used to be the norm.
If the timber is in good condition and there’s no obvious signs of damage to the lintel or the brickwork above then there’s no reason not to leave it be.

Many thanks both, we shall have a good look at the lintel to make sure it's completely sound and leave it in place.

Sponsored Links
Just for an example, wooden lintel we took out of a listed building last year :p

It was only really spotted by chance when the wall was about to be painted

Attachments

• P1070904x.jpg
    P1070904x.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 65
  • P1070906x.jpg
    P1070906x.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 67
Just for an example, wooden lintel we took out of a listed building last year :p

It was only really spotted by chance when the wall was about to be painted
If that was spotted by chance, and not big cracks spotted in the wall by intent, then it was doing a damn good job despite its condition. The OP may like to post back in a century or so and we'll see how things are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back