Wooden wall - original feature plastering problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.
I have a two up two down built circa 1890.
I've just stripped the wallpaper from the main bedroom to find something strange.
There's a wooden wall behind the door. It looks to be made of floorboards or similar, and judging from the wallpaper that was on it, it's an original, or at least very early feature.
You can see from the picture that it forms the left side and runs over the bedroom door. It then seamlessly runs into the conventional brick and plaster wall on the right of the door.
Behind the wooden wall is a cupboard over the stairs.
I'll be honest, I really don't want to get into removing it and putting a stud partition up if I can help it. The boards form part of the cupboard and it could just turn into a much bigger job than I want. ....but it's getting in the way of my plans to skim the bedroom walls with plaster.
I'd thought about overboarding it with plasterboard, but then I'd have the problem of how to feather that into the rest of the wall.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do?
If I have to take it down I will, but I thought I'd ask here before I did anything.
Thanks,
Richard.

Attachments

• IMG20210513195226.jpg
    IMG20210513195226.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back