Worcester 15/19 motor getting stuck.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having big problems with my 15/19 oil boiler. Motor is getting stuck on start up and humming till cutout kicks in. Thought it was the pump getting stuck with debris, so replaced the pump. It didn't fix the problem. The motor turns when under no resistance from the pump and no mater how hard I try to centralise the pump onto the motor, it is still unable to turn without wiggling the lose pump around. Once started it is fine, but when I try to tighten the pump location screws securely, motor unable to restart as under too much resistance. Can the motor loose it's start up power (torque) over time? Can anything be done to it? It's all well lubrcated and the bearings are fine. Is this a common problem? Most importantly, I think it could only be the motor as the pump is new, what do you all think? and what are motor capacitor replacements and can these solve my problem? It's a Simel motor. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the motor has a starting cap then it is more than likely this that needed replacment, if i was yourself i would replace the cap take off new pump and replace old pump, and keep new pump in storage for that inevitable day.(long may it be).

What is the starting cap? It has a black plastic box (tube) attached to the motor, I thought that was a solonoid. Have taken the motor apart which is just the back, which is the part that holds the end bearing and the outer part, which has the centralising screws for the pump. Is it one of these? Thanks

That in the tube on the motor with the wires coming out is the starting cap.

caution, discharge befor touching the terminals, they give one hell of a jolt ;)

Sponsored Links
Excellent, thanks a lot, I will try getting one tomorrow. Will let you know. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back