Worcester 24CDI RSF – Expansion Vessel replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
I am trying to replace the expansion vessel in Worcester 24CDI RSF, it is very badly designed, reading the manual I need basically to dismantle the boiler completely to get to it. I need to take off both heat exchangers the water to water and the gas to water ones, the burner the pressure switch, the flue hood assembly, the fan, and the circular pump. The only parts I do need to take off is the gas valve and the diverter valve. However, I am thinking to leave the faulty expansion vessel as it is and install the new on the top of the boiler, where I have plenty of space and can fix it with a metal strap. It would be about 70 cm higher then where it is at the monument, i.e it is natural place. It would be connect to the system (in this case is the circular pump) via heat resistance 10 mm plastic pipe running in the space behind the boiler. Is this something you advice to do, what are the risk in doing this, can you advice on an alternative way of doing it.
Your reply and input is highly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You seem to work on a lot of boilers when you are not CORGI registered!

Fitting a stand alone EXV is always a cheaper and easier solution to a failed combi one ( except on a Celtic or earlier highflow I suppose ).

Tony

Dear all,
I would like to share the knowledge with you in this form regarding pressure vessel replacement of this boiler. I called my mate Richard Williams ( CORGI gas engineer in Swindon) to replace the pressure vessel as I believed it is badly designed and I need to take off so many parts including the burner to get to it, according to manual. Hence I can not do that as I am not a CORGI registered and past experience shows that once you start dismantling parts inside the boiler, it is hard to put them back again and even if you succeed, they end up leaking and the jobs becomes harder and harder. However, Richard has been through the replacement of pressure vessel in the Worcester 24CDi and devised different way from the one in the manual which is very easy, fast and practical.

The process as follows:-
Standing in front of the boiler and looking at it, take off the side penal ( the one close to the on/off switch not the pressure gauge one, you will see another sliver penal riveted to the well sealed burner chamber, it is located at the lower part of the boiler exactly opposite the expansion vessel.
Chisel off the five rivets, and undo the two screws at the bottom of the boiler and move it out of the way, be careful not to disturb the C.H sensor red wires.
Undo the expansion vessel and removed from the left side
Refit the new one in reverse order But do not forget to re rivet the pane back on the burner chamber Or better use five self tapped screws with some sealant such as joined compound.
It took us about half an hour to do and we did not touch any of the parts that mentioned in the manual.

Dear all,
I would like to share the knowledge with you in this form regarding pressure vessel replacement of this boiler. I called my mate Richard Williams ( CORGI gas engineer in Swindon) to replace the pressure vessel as I believed it is badly designed and I need to take off so many parts including the burner to get to it, according to manual. Hence I can not do that as I am not a CORGI registered and past experience shows that once you start dismantling parts inside the boiler, it is hard to put them back again and even if you succeed, they end up leaking and the jobs becomes harder and harder. However, Richard has been through the replacement of pressure vessel in the Worcester 24CDi and devised different way from the one in the manual which is very easy, fast and practical.

The process as follows:-
Standing in front of the boiler and looking at it, take off the side penal ( the one close to the on/off switch not the pressure gauge one, you will see another sliver penal riveted to the well sealed burner chamber, it is located at the lower part of the boiler exactly opposite the expansion vessel.
Chisel off the five rivets, and undo the two screws at the bottom of the boiler and move it out of the way, be careful not to disturb the C.H sensor red wires.
Undo the expansion vessel and removed from the left side
Refit the new one in reverse order But do not forget to re rivet the pane back on the burner chamber Or better use five self tapped screws with some sealant such as joined compound.
It took us about half an hour to do and we did not touch any of the parts that mentioned in the manual.

interesting but a waste of time if its not absolutely necessary to replace the internal one. if its leaking or space is an issue then fair enough.

i would always rivet it though, screws makes it look bodged IMO.

Sponsored Links
I've got an even easier way of doing it.

Call Worcester in, they made it, let them fix it. :rolleyes:

Hi Nikso,
it was both leaking and space issue

in that case well done but i might have got worcester in anyway as the would have done it fixed price and also replaced half the boiler that would have fallen to bits when they did it the way the manual says......right hand plastic manifold would have no doubt stripped its threads, that will happen to you sooner or later anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back