worcester 24i junior pump replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been quoted £430 plus VAT to replace the pump on my worcester boiler. I looked the part up online and it seems the list price is around £120 so the figure seems high to me. I've asked for a breakdown of costs but they are not forthcoming.. Anyone have any guidelines?

Sponsored Links
Tell them to get lost . If you are not diy minded phone BG they will do a fixed price repair including the part for £165 approx .
These people are trying to rip you off big big style it is no more than a half hour job and although the proper pump comes with a special housing for your boiler there is no need to change all of this. Just the pump head can be change and the part is around £65

We would expect to charge about £84 + £65.

Its difficult to immagine what kind of firm is quoting you so much, but some of the "call out" firms charge £65 per half hour and double the cost of parts! That quickly adds up!

Tony

Thanks. That's what I suspected. On your advice I phoned British Gas and have actually taken out a cover policy with them which means they will fix it for free this time and hopefully stop me having to go through this nonsense in the future!

Sponsored Links
So that we can give the correct advice to people can you tell us the charges involved?

Tony

Sure. If I had gone for a fixed price fix it would have been £200. This is for any problem and is based on postcode (I live in London)

I decided to go for a years policy at £38 a month. This covers;

My current issue
A yearly boiler service.
All internal plumbing (so taps, toilet etc) and central heating system including radiators
External plumbing including waste pipe, drains etc

After a year the price drops by £10 a month

Thats £456 in the first year falling to £336 in the second year.

Still a fairly expensive option when a reasonably priced firm could have replaced the pump for £149 though. I am going to replace one this afternoon for a landlord!

Or even when compared with the BG fixed price which can be very good value when expensive parts are required.

I hope that you find the future cover beneficial.

Tony

Yeah, it is a little expensive but to be honest I've been in the flat for just under a year and had to call plumbers out 3 times so far at a cost of around £300.
It seems you don't get anyone to walk through your door for less than £80 in London.
The pipe work and bathroom fittings are pretty old so I am fully expecting at least another call out for those in the next year and the boiler really needs a service so I reckon it's worth it at least for this year.

Worcester do their own policys that would've been alot cheaper (and they have better engineers. You've paid a princely sum in my opinion-make sure you get your moneys worth and call them out for any minor faults that occur. :LOL:

and bathroom fittings are pretty old so I am fully expecting at least another call out for those in the next year

Read the small print of T&C, your not covered for outlets, eg. taps, showers etc.. just pipework to it..

the bg call center person has mugged you off for a fat commission

Dangermouse you and other poorly trained BG may class a service as ten mins but there are still guys on the company that know how to service properly without resorting to a telegan.
AND if you check the powermax incident has nothing to do with a service. Do you ACTUALTY now the story behind that case.
What makes a worcester engineer better the fact they are only working on one make of boiler :rolleyes: :rolleyes: i doubt that makes them good engineers only a good robot

Dangermouse you and other poorly trained BG may class a service as ten mins but there are still guys on the company that know how to service properly without resorting to a telegan.
AND if you check the powermax incident has nothing to do with a service. Do you ACTUALTY now the story behind that case.
What makes a worcester engineer better the fact they are only working on one make of boiler :rolleyes: :rolleyes: i doubt that makes them good engineers only a good robot

worcester engineers are experts on their range of boilers. Bg aren't experts on anything. BG productivity dictates the quality of servicing-not enough time therefore shyte job done. FACT!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back