Worcester 28i Boiler - Locking out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Worcester 28i boiler which locks out in cold weather (usually after its been snowing).

The boiler worked perfectly all year however now it is cold/snowing it keeps locking out. CH and HW work for approx 5 hours before the fault indicator starts to rapidly flash (5 times a second) and it will no longer ignite.

I can temporarily solve this by blowing through the red and white rubber pipes that connect to the fan assembly which sometimes clears condensation that has built up and leaving the boiler off for 5 minutes.

30t5gld.jpg

Had a plumber round recently to have a look who stated that whoever installed the flue hasn't done a great job given that there in condensation getting in to the red and white rubber pipes that connect from the fan to the sensor. The plumber who installed it says he's talking *******s.

So there's two questions really any idea what could be happening to cause this to trip out and could the condensation (although not a huge amount) caused by the poorly installed flue be causing the issue or could this be a red herring and really the boiler in overheating due to increased demand?

Many thanks for any help you can give as its really a nightmare at this time of year! :)

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be messing around in there!
But out of curiosity does the flue slope back towards the boiler?

You shouldn't be messing around in there!
But out of curiosity does the flue slope back towards the boiler?

Yeah apologies it was more out of desperation/testing until I get someone to take responsibility to try fix this. The Flue appears to be pretty straight to me and not obviously leaning back towards the boiler.

I'd go with the guy who didn't fit it, the flue should be sloping down slightly away from the boiler.

Sponsored Links
I'd go with the guy who didn't fit it, the flue should be sloping down slightly away from the boiler.

The boiler flue slopes down but only a tiny fraction, almost level.

The boiler only has appears to have an issue when the weather is very cold (6oc and below) and broke soon after increasing the heat thermostat on the boiler.

Many thanks for the help :)
Turns out that the boiler flue was not pointing down (towards the ground) enough and condensate was building up in the fan.
I understand newer models need to be installed with flue pointing up slightly just to confuse things?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back