Worcester 28i Junior - Cutting out after few minutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The title pretty much describes my problem - A few days ago our boiler started playing up, the hot water went cold and we noticed the fault light on the boiler was flashing 4 times a sec.
After holding the fault button and leaving the boiler for ~30 minutes or so it will fire up again but after a short period (a few minutes) the light blinks as its cutting out and restarting, then it will cut out and fail to restart, and the fault light flashes fast again.

When the boiler fires it produces heat fine at the DHW and CH and demand on either causes the same fault.
Water pressure is at ~1.5 bar cold, I can hear what sounds like the fan after the boiler cuts out, it still runs for a minute or two then stops.

The flue isn't blocked from what I can tell.

I've had a search around and a common fault seems to be the air pressure sensor on these - the part is only £20 but I'm not sure of the legalitys if I bought a replacement and did it myself to see if it does the trick (since its not touching the gas..?)
So I've held off for the moment, and will probably get someone in to sort it, but wanted to get some opinions beforehand so I don't get fleeced for some new parts I don't need!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It's not the APS

Despite what you think not every engineer is out to fleece you, ask for a recommendation from friends and get an engineer in

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the fact not everyone is out to fleece their customer.

I was just hoping some people in the know might be able to point out likely candidates (and maybe how much i'd expect to pay) for the repair based on the fault description.

Can anyone recommend a decent engineer that services gloucestershire ?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
The APS is a safety device controlling combustion and so should not be touched or accessed by a DIYer as its inside the combustion chamber.

Different firms have different charging methods. Some charge an hourly rate and others a fixed diagnostic fee. I recommend the latter as its not an open ended charge. Alternative British Gas and some other firms have a fixed price repair service.

Although I doubt its something that would have been prevented by a service, having the boiler regularly serviced is always a good thing to do.

Tony

Hi,

The title pretty much describes my problem - A few days ago our boiler started playing up, the hot water went cold and we noticed the fault light on the boiler was flashing 4 times a sec.
After holding the fault button and leaving the boiler for ~30 minutes or so it will fire up again but after a short period (a few minutes) the light blinks as its cutting out and restarting, then it will cut out and fail to restart, and the fault light flashes fast again.

When the boiler fires it produces heat fine at the DHW and CH and demand on either causes the same fault.
Water pressure is at ~1.5 bar cold, I can hear what sounds like the fan after the boiler cuts out, it still runs for a minute or two then stops.

The flue isn't blocked from what I can tell.

I've had a search around and a common fault seems to be the air pressure sensor on these - the part is only £20 but I'm not sure of the legalitys if I bought a replacement and did it myself to see if it does the trick (since its not touching the gas..?)
So I've held off for the moment, and will probably get someone in to sort it, but wanted to get some opinions beforehand so I don't get fleeced for some new parts I don't need!! :LOL:
its the low water pressure switch costs about £60

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back