Worcester 28i junior hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before. I have only joined today and have trawled through a load of posts but cant find an answer!

I have a worcester 28i junior combi boiler, which last week wasnt working. it turned out to be the fan, which was replaced and the central heating and everything works fine again.

i get hot water in the kitchen and bathrom sinks, if it is run sllowly,but it is intermitent and I have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnt go cold half way through. The bath however doesnt get any hot water unless it is a trickle which means the bath will take a couple of days to fill up and then when it did it would be cold anyway.

I have just fitted a new bathroom which did not have a bath before so I dont know if the problem existed before. although the hot water was still intermitent before the bathroom was fitted.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Davy

PS. Are combi boilers really that great, at least when I had a water tank i knew I would get hot water out the bl**dy thing.

Sponsored Links
The 28i should fill your bath in under 10 minutes.
Quality combis that are properly installed and maintained are fine.
You have the misfortune to have a boiler that is the cheapest bar 1 of the entire range, often installed as a budget system with the corners cut as to be expected when going with the cheapest quote.
Not accusing you of this as it sounds you inherited the system.
Your probem can be caused by limescale or lack of proper servicing, thermistor, pcb, gasvalve to name but a few.
Apart from the thermistor which could argued to be safe for diy, all the rest is RGI work.

Thanks for the info. yes you're right I did inherit the system, and by the looks of the rest of the pipework etc it has been a budget job.

However as money is tight at the moment I am reluctant to replace the whole system.

What would be a "quality" boiler, I have a 2 bedroomed flat, 6 rads, 1 bathroom and kitchen.

Would it be possible to just change the boiler and have it connected to the original pipework?

IM not sure the last time it was serviced, it was checked before I bought the flat last June but that was just to make sure everything was working ok.

Cheers, Davy

Sponsored Links
Probably pointless to replace the boiler as the parts will be readily available for years to come.
It is unlikely that someone selling the flat will bother to service the boiler, so you are probably looking at no service for more than 2 years.
Ask friends, colleages, neighbours for a good, local installer.
Tell him the problem and ask to service the boiler and if that does not cure it, repair the fault.
Based on experience, I would say you have about 90% chance that your system is corroded and needs cleaning.
A proper clean, not necessarily a powerflush, and a filter would be a good idea once the boiler is working fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back