Worcester 9.24 boiler problems

plug-in 24v relay switch: Manufacturers part number 8716146118
Apart from the 24V you said that!

Where does it go? Someone will need to be able to look inside a boiler and find it from what you say..

Sponsored Links
not too sure I am afraid, I am learning this from fragments of conversations with engineers as I go along. You have to unscrew the front panel and it goes somewhere on the left near the Potentiometer I think. The BG engineer has said that he would come back and fit it if I can source the part (it is currently sticking, looks black and burnt out, and is apparently the reason why my heating is only coming on intermittently)

Found it - your part number's wrong. Does it look like this?
Forget the tabs on the side, it's the connectors at the bottom which matter.
Turn power off, pull it out and measure.

this
Standard part - no need to come throough woosta really.

Sponsored Links
First things first that relay is still available but i dont think its the problem just a "last straw . Your model has a permenant pilot and a fan, thats poss the problem ,the ignition board fitted to your boiler has a large ceramic resistor fitted to it this holds the fan on low speed ,if the fan does not run on slowley the pilot does not get enough oxygen and goes out after a time depending on flame size etc . This resistor fails quite regularly and you can often clearly see the burn marks . the bad news is it has not been available for 4 years but a suitable sized resistor can be fitted accross the old one. their are two heat exchangers for the 9.24 and this is the older grey/black model .

ChrisR said:
SOunds a bit like the switches on the end of the diverter valve are sticking. See if water has got to them.
WHich model, by the way?

If you need a secondary (domestic hw) heat exchanger for it I have one, by the way, which I doubt I'll ever install!

Chris if u still have the H/E can u email me at [email protected]

cheers

HarrogateGas said:
A common fault on these is the pump over-run stat........at a set temp the switching switches over on the stat fo the pump over-run .....if this fails your pump might be stoping and thus overheating. Ive changed a few of these for this fault over the years.
Hello
have got a 9.24 electronic esf (?) it has started cutting out in the morning on the combustion (?) chamber reset button, presume it is getting too hot, but when i reset it it runs all day ok. have been looking on this forum and there is talk about pilot lights but when it fires and cycles there is a spark generator sparking (i can see the sparks thru the peep hole) then an initial pilot light lights and then the whole shooting match fires up but the pilot light goes out, is this normal? does it have to have a permanent pilot light on? it is cycling on the panel thermostat when it finally gets going and the other thing i have noticed is that i have to top it up with water quite a bit. do i have several probs? ie gas valve needs pilot adjusting? do i have a prob with heat exchanger leaking. also HE, is that the white tubular one connected to the divertor valve?, also took the burner front panel off and there isnt any lwater eaks in there, plenty of crap, blue dust, dead insects which i hoovered up.
thanks in advance
stu

your pilot should be always on. You may just need a new thermocouple to solve that problem. The problem with my boiler was finally solved - after many many visits from various BG engineers - when a faulty relay was replaced. By the time they had fixed it, I had got a practically new boiler - new pump, gas valve, expansion vessel, etc, everything bar the heat exchangers (not covered under the service agreement). My advice to you, unless ur determined to solve this yourself, is to sign up to a boiler maintenance contract by BG or one of the others, and bug the f*ck out of them till they fix it! I was initially told to replace my boiler as the H/E had gone. It was b*llocks, after much persistence and help from these forums, it got fixed and my boiler now works beautifully. Good luck!

Hi Timsy, It's a long time since you had your problem with the Worcester 9.24 boiler I see but I don't suppose you remember what the relay was you replaced? I have the same very old boiler and it appears to have the same fault that you had. Any response would be greatly received.
Thanks

The really are very old now, probably a minimum of 25 years.

Whilst they can still be kept going by an engineer who is willing to work on such an old boiler, they are really overdue for replacement.

There are so few left now that I have not fixed on for perhaps four years now.

Tony

I had mine replaced a few years ago, the heating is now so much better.
Got many of the bits from the old one down in the cellar i.e. the pcb, valves etc - dunno why but I'm a hoarder lol

Replace the whole thing with a new one and flush the system - you'll feel the benefit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back