Worcester Bosch Combi Boiler issues...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Worcester Bosch Combi Boiler just over a year old - had it's first service a month ago…

Today, I heard the boiler fire up and stay on unprompted. No water or gas was being used at the time. Noticed the pilots light was flashing. Reset button also flashing red (every second).

Held down the reset button and it seemed to resume back to working order. Hot water and radiator heat unaffected afterwards (not sure about during as it was making such a noise I didn't try).

About an hour ago same thing happened again!

Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong?

I have been advised to make sure my radiators are open in case it is overheating, and although this may be a temporary solution, I don't feel too happy as if the thermostat is off and heat is still running through to the radiators, then clearly there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed.

Sponsored Links
Very long day and might not have comprehended you post, but it cold be a stuck diverter valve and boiler thinking it is having to preheat the hot water and not getting there because of the valve.

Perhaps JohnD can ask Which Magazine for you?

(only kidding on that last one).

BTW - your boiler doesn't have a pilot light.

Anyway - it should be under warranty, so assuming the installation was carried out correctly, call Wooshitter Botch to come out and chuck some more plastic bottles and lunch boxes at this marvel of German engineering. ;).

Very long day and might not have comprehended you post, but it cold be a stuck diverter valve and boiler thinking it is having to preheat the hot water and not getting there because of the valve.

Perhaps JohnD can ask Which Magazine for you?

(only kidding on that last one).

BTW - your boiler doesn't have a pilot light.

Anyway - it should be under warranty, so assuming the installation was carried out correctly, call Wooshitter Botch to come out and chuck some more plastic bottles and lunch boxes at this marvel of German engineering. ;).

ok, blue flashing light… i thought it was pilot light, so whatever the technical term is for that, lol. guessing you're not a worcester bosch fan lol.

i thought it was pilot light.
Pilot light is a tiny gas flame which is on all the time, used to ignite the main burner when the gas valve opens.
Used on old reliable boilers which work for decades with little or no maintenance.

New ones are not allowed to have such things, as they 'waste' a certain amount of gas. They have electronic devices to create sparks for ignition, frost sensors to activate the burner and waste gas to compensate for the fact there is no pilot light to prevent freezing, are primarily made from all plastic parts with the look of real metal, and if you get 10 years from one before it is a pile of scrap, it is considered a miracle.
They are however more efficient, and use less gas than the older ones. If you are lucky, you might just about save the cost of the efficient boiler before it needs to be replaced again.

Sponsored Links
Wufter Bodge are the Installers choice.....Mainly 'cos many installers don't have to go back and fix the bleeding things.

Thank Wufter for that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back