worcester bosch greenstar 32/50 not firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a greenstar 32/50, problem: If the boiler has been "off" for more than 4 hours, when it comes "on" it fires up for about 7 seconds and then cuts out. Wait about two minutes, press the (now lit up) reset button and it fires up and will run all day without a problem. Again, when it is switched off overnight and and comes on about 6 hours later same problem. The boiler was recently serviced and a new oil pump and ignition controller fitted (£250.00) Prior to that the boiler started puffing brown smoke from the flue (soot build up in the baffles). I do'nt really have a lot of cofidence in the engineer ( he didn't tighten the nuts on the baffle plate sufficiently for a start) Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
I am assuming (which could be fatal) you say he changed the oil pump & "EBI" which is the little black box that creates the spark.... did he change the "satronic control box" ( the box with the light on it)??? as usually the control box & Ebi fail together.
If memory serves me correct you have an "Inter burner"

"The boiler was recently serviced and a new oil pump and ignition controller fitted (£250.00) "

Also is the burner on top of the unit or at the bottom??
if the burner is on top it could be a small pin hole leak in the fuel line somewhere & the oil is draining back, so by the time the burner fires up there is no oil & goes to "lock out", then when pressed again the oil is there to start the boiler

Tend to agree with djsarge. Oil is draining back, or maybe blocked filter or pipework. Need to know configuration of oil supply to help more

I am assuming (which could be fatal) you say he changed the oil pump & "EBI" which is the little black box that creates the spark.... did he change the "satronic control box" ( the box with the light on it)??? as usually the control box & Ebi fail together.
If memory serves me correct you have an "Inter burner"

"The boiler was recently serviced and a new oil pump and ignition controller fitted (£250.00) "

Also is the burner on top of the unit or at the bottom??
if the burner is on top it could be a small pin hole leak in the fuel line somewhere & the oil is draining back, so by the time the burner fires up there is no oil & goes to "lock out", then when pressed again the oil is there to start the boiler

would have thought it has an RDB as it's a greenstar.

I would be looking more for a small leak on the oil supply causing air.

would normally go for a new pump coil as being the problem but would have hoped that was change with the new pump!

Sponsored Links
Basic WBGreenstars don't use an RDB burner, the Greenstar Camray range does.

Camray is sideways firing, the Greenstar non Camray 32/50 is downward firing and uses a Sterling burner.

As it is mounted higher up, oil starvation is more common.

Worcester's oil product range is very confusing. The Camray range is designed to appeal to the installers of the now defunct Boulter boiler range, which was taken over by Buderus and then in turn bought by Bosch.

The Worcester non-Camray Greenstar is more like the old Worcester oil range.

Confused? If in doubt, the Camray is better. IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back