Worcester Bosch Greenstar 8000 Life problems....Or are they???

What number are you using ? there are a few numbers, they are normally pretty good service wise,

Sponsored Links
It's 0330-123-9559 and then I chose the Technical support option

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If option 2 fails try option 1 that will take you to gas registered tech but if you explain you are a home owner and cannot reach through they may help you

Thanks very much mate. You were right! I got through via option 1 and explained to the person. She tried to immediately blame the Hive Thermostat, but I explained that the Hive is working because when I demand heating, it's receiver shows solid green light and after approx. 5-10 seconds the boiler shows a flame and rad icon is also flashing. She said call back after 6pm as the heating needs to cool down for them to do any tests. I will let you know what they say....I got a feeling they will simply blame the Thermostat.

I would say that the problem lies with system balancing.
Do any radiators get hot?
Does the system have an external auto bypass? if so adjust to 4.

An easy check to see if it's the controls or the system is to force the boiler into chimney sweep mode. press OK button for 5 seconds. system will then run heating mode on max for up to 20 mins.

Other thing is pump speed may need to be adjusted. default is 3 but may need to be increase to up to a max of 6

I would say that the problem lies with system balancing.
Do any radiators get hot?
Does the system have an external auto bypass? if so adjust to 4.

An easy check to see if it's the controls or the system is to force the boiler into chimney sweep mode. press OK button for 5 seconds. system will then run heating mode on max for up to 20 mins.

Other thing is pump speed may need to be adjusted. default is 3 but may need to be increase to up to a max of 6

Thanks for your help snb. I've just seen your post, but Worcester have already booked an engineer this morning to come out tomorrow and check the issue for me.

The radiators TRVs and lock shields have already been balanced/bled and that's not what I'm describing. I'm referring to the boiler which has a display temperature that climbs very slowly (approx 45mins to reach 50C, another 30-45mins to reach 60C and so on) that it never really gets properly warm. Yet if I turn the heating off for even a few seconds, and you see the temperature on the boiler display rapidly shoot down. Or if you make the mistake of opening the tap the temperature reduces to the tap level (50C) which is fine, but when you close the tap, the heating makes another very slow climb. Sometimes even if no tap is open and the CH Thermostat is still demanding heat, the boiler temperature just hovers at around 50-55C without anything happening for ages. By the time it gets going, a few hours have passed and the CH Thermostat time is almost over.

I'm not sure if my boiler has an external auto bypass. I think for the moment, I'll let the engineer check everything and if still no good, then I will try what you suggested.

the reason the boiler is taking so long to get up to temperature is because the software will only allow a temperature difference between flow and return of around 20 degrees. i'm fairly certain from what you have described is whats's happening. this is normally caused by poor balancing, system flow restrictions, air locks or the boilers own pump not being set to the correct pressure.
The worcester engineer should soon have it solved for you

the reason the boiler is taking so long to get up to temperature is because the software will only allow a temperature difference between flow and return of around 20 degrees. i'm fairly certain from what you have described is whats's happening. this is normally caused by poor balancing, system flow restrictions, air locks or the boilers own pump not being set to the correct pressure.
The worcester engineer should soon have it solved for you

Thanks snb. Really appreciate your help and sound advice. Just worried that they don't end up charging me if the engineer finds the rads are unbalanced.

Hello guys. Apologies for not replying sooner. Just had a lot of health issues and some other personal problems which took priority over this, so I'm very sorry again.

WB engineer came out. He made some adjustments to the boiler settings telling me that they were incorrect, but this has not made any difference. I have gone around, bleeding the rads, but there is no air and it's made little difference. I don't know what else we can do. Room thermostat is set to 25C, the heating is on for 5 hours and the temperature of the room rises from 18C to 19.7C or 20C at most...this can't be right.

Hi everyone. I apologise, but I've not had any replies. Is there anyone who can please help me with this? Thank you

This is one of those problems with just too many variables to check but if you give a rough idea of your location someone might offer to take a look...

Thanks for your reply Gasguru. I'm think one of the suggestions made was to look at the radiators? They are not very hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back