Worcester Bosch Greenstar 8000 Life problems....Or are they???

Have you looked at the manual....there are so many variables the Worcester eng. could have played around with, now add the system faults/setting up...this will go nowhere.

Sponsored Links
This sounds very much like a system problem rather than a boiler issue, this boiler modulates 1/10 and the pump modulates to match system demand

This sounds very much like a system problem rather than a boiler issue, this boiler modulates 1/10 and the pump modulates to match system demand

Thanks Marty - What does this mean and what do you recommend I need to do?

Sponsored Links
Without seeing your system I can't really advise. Maybe a flush. Get a decent engineer to take a look

Thanks marty - Before I call another engineer, is there anything I can do in terms of balancing the system etc?

why have you not called the original installer back to setup the boiler correctly?

Hello guys. Apologies for not replying sooner. Just had a lot of health issues and some other personal problems which took priority over this, so I'm very sorry again.

WB engineer came out. He made some adjustments to the boiler settings telling me that they were incorrect, but this has not made any difference. I have gone around, bleeding the rads, but there is no air and it's made little difference. I don't know what else we can do. Room thermostat is set to 25C, the heating is on for 5 hours and the temperature of the room rises from 18C to 19.7C or 20C at most...this can't be right.
As i said earlier. Worcester engineer has checked that the boiler is set up correctly. He will not check the rest of the system as thats not their responsibility.

The problem will lie with one or all of the following. system balancing, auto bypass setting,system blockage. My guess would be system balancing. You have said this is correct. But i would be 99% certain that it will be wrong.
Press the OK button for 5 seconds and this puts the boiler in max rate for 10minutes. Do all the rads get piping hot? if they don't then the issue is balancing.
As a very quick setup for balancing. open all trv's to max. then on the lockshield valves ( opposite end to trv's) on each radiator close it fully and then open 1.5turns on all downstairs rads and open 1.0 turns for upstairs rads. Then turn on heating and test

Thanks denso13 for clarifying that. Maybe snb didn't see the post.

As i said earlier. Worcester engineer has checked that the boiler is set up correctly. He will not check the rest of the system as thats not their responsibility.

The problem will lie with one or all of the following. system balancing, auto bypass setting,system blockage. My guess would be system balancing. You have said this is correct. But i would be 99% certain that it will be wrong.
Press the OK button for 5 seconds and this puts the boiler in max rate for 10minutes. Do all the rads get piping hot? if they don't then the issue is balancing.
As a very quick setup for balancing. open all trv's to max. then on the lockshield valves ( opposite end to trv's) on each radiator close it fully and then open 1.5turns on all downstairs rads and open 1.0 turns for upstairs rads. Then turn on heating and test

Hey snb! Thanks so much!. I have some great news. I followed your suggestion of putting the boiler at max rate. The display changed to a 100% sign and temperature quickly rose to high 80s. Next thing I know is that ALL the radiators then went absolutely boiling hot within less than 10 minutes and could not be touched at all.

I assume now that the rads are piping hot, I can safely eliminate system balancing? But what does this mean? What do I need to do?

Last edited:
Thanks denso13 for clarifying that. Maybe snb didn't see the post.

Hey snb! Thanks so much!. I have some great news. I followed your suggestion of putting the boiler at max rate. The display changed to a 100% sign and temperature quickly rose to high 80s. Next thing I know is that ALL the radiators then went absolutely boiling hot within less than 10 minutes and could not be touched at all.

I assume now that the rads are piping hot, I can safely eliminate system balancing? But what does this mean? What do I need to do?

Sounds like the boiler needs the pump setting changed from 3 to 6.( when in max rate mode the pump is on setting 6) this is changed in 3-d1. about page 48 in the manual.

I know you had a query about the syphon fill mode. this can be switched off. 4-A2 page 48. this also explains what causes it to operate.
But normally if you switch off the appliance or reset it it has to do a 15min syphon fill. but once it has done this once it doesn't do it again for at least another 28days.
Whilst in fill mode boiler operates at low rate for 15mins and you have the hash sign flashing. hope this helps

Thanks so much snb! You've been extremely helpful and I really appreciate it. I've just checked the pump setting and it's current only on 1....I'm not exactly sure how this makes the difference, but isn't that way too low?

Also does changing the pump setting to 6 have any drastic negative effect, such as more wear/tear or lots of gas consumption? I'm just wondering that since it's only on 1, whether I could get away with lesser amounts?

Furthermore whilst the boiler is not running, I checked:-
4-a2 (Siphon Fill Program - Page 48) - Currently on 0
3-b1 (Maximum Heat Output - Page 47) Currently on 50%.

Are these two settings okay or do they also need changing?

alter pump setting to 3 which is factory default and see how it performs. if it doesn't pump around enough then increase it. or you could try it on 6 and then drop it down.
change heat output 100%.
the only issue you get with the higher pump pressure is noise. Always best to set it at a rate that heats all rads but on it's lowest setting. personally try it on 3. but i have a few systems that i have had to increase this. mainly those with more than 12 rads

Thanks very much snb.

So changing the pump to 3 definitely made a difference to the rads heating up more quickly and more than usual. But for some reason one final rad which is in the attic (3rd floor) is only lukewarm. Does increasing the pump to a higher number, actually help with water pressure too?

Isn't increasing the boiler heat output to 100% going to increase the gas bills massively?

change it to 4 and they maybe enough to force it to the last rad. if not increase it another one.

Increasing boiler output to 100% won't increase gas bills, all it will do is speed up the time the boiler takes to get the rads up to temperature

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back