Worcester CDI Combi Mounting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My parents got a new boiler fitted last week (37cdi) Looks like a very tidy install but I'm curious as to how the installer has mounted the boiler.

It's on a plasterboard wall so the installer has cut a piece of 22mm ply large enough to catch the 2 studs and has mounted the boiler on to the ply.

I had a read of the instuction booklet and it stated that it should be on a fire retardant sheet.

Is this an accident waiting to happen ?

Sponsored Links
I'm at my parents tomorrow so can take a few pics.

I did actually phone Worcester and they said ideally on a sheet of superlux or similar but it was not imperative due to the boiler being hung on a 1mm steel jig and then the back of the boiler is approx 1mm steel and then the burner is incased in it's own inclosure.

I'm just double check here to see what the consensus is.

This is why i bolt ply to the wall and then bit of PB on top,just incase u get some pedanic coont who will want a consensus from internet forum instead of listening to manufacturers etc :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Ply is fine. I do it myself as a good sturdy background for the boiler to sit on. As you've said yourself if the manufacturers are happy, then you've got no problems.

Some manufacturers still work with the same principles as 30 years ago when boilers got stinking hot.
There is no technical reason why a boiler could not be fitted on ply; I've just done one and it's absolutely fine.
In fact, doing it this way is much better than sticking it on with plasterboard mountings.

I normally use kitchen/bathroom grade flooring chipboard, nice and thick sturdy and great for fixing pipes and cables to as well.

I had a read of the instuction booklet and it stated that it should be on a fire retardant sheet.

Is this an accident waiting to happen ?

I hope somebody double checks your work and raises doubts about your competence.

Bosch released a technical bulletin last year saying that following tests they were happy for all their gas boilers to be directly mounted on combustible surfaces, because the casing tamperature could not get hot enough to cause a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back