Worcester Greenstar 30 CDi Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm new here, and would like some advice please.

I have a wocester bosch 230 rsf combi boiler which is coming to the end of it's life.

I have asked a couple of people for quotes, and my neighbour recommended someone who installed his boiler, which was a worcester for £1200.

I contacted this person who came and looked at the current boiler last week and today has put a quote through my door, it is as follows:

Install Worcester Greenstar 30 CDi Combi Condensing Boiler

Install Digital Programmable Room Stat and re-pipe to existing system.

Install Magnet Cleaner onto Pipe-work

System commissioned and water inhibitor added

Cost £2200.

Does that sound like a good price? I thought it was high, compared to what my neighbour paid 6 months ago for a similar boiler (slightly smaller though, think it was a worcester greenstar 27)

Thank you for any help.

Sponsored Links
Generally there are several different models and some of the Worcester budget boilers are not very reliable.

That does not sound very unreasonable to me.

The most important aspect is ensuring the system is clean. Just fitting a Magnaclean is not not sufficient.

Tony

i would have thought somewhere between £1700 and £1900 would be nearer the mark.
Would not look at your neighbour's job as a yardstick- If anyone was to fit a 30cdi and magnaclean in you house for £1200 they would not only be working for nothing.they would actually make a loss.

I did think £1200 was a little cheap, although they are 'mates', which might be why.

I was hoping for below £2000. I think my current boiler is G rated, so can claim £400 through he scrappage scheme. I have £1500 in saving, and can get an extra few hundred to last until the money comes back from the scheme.

I will wait until I have another couple of quotes and see what comes out.

You mentioned the magnaclean not being sufficient. What should the installer be doing instead? Is it some sort of flush that cleans it out?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
For that boiler and DT10RF with magnaclean I would be roughly that price. That's allowing for 2 days one for a powerflush and one to replace boiler.

Depending on the quality of installation you would recieve that price is reasonable.

By the way ignore Tony's comments on Worcesters budget boilers the majority of parts are the same as what's in the CDi range and from my experiance they are no less reliable than the CDi's.

I fitted nothing but Worcester for the past two years (roughly 50-60 boilers) and in that time had two breakdowns both last month and both frozen condensates on 32mm external pipework. (it was -18 up here at the time though)

I think the quoted price is a bit steep. We advertise through various websites like ebay etc for a Combi swap for £1620.

Thats us making decent money too. I couldn't justify charging anymore.

Alot of people do though but by charging fair prices I have three combi swaps to do in London, one in Wakefield, two in Liverpool and one in Glasgow. Id rather make £400 - £500 a job and keep ticking over than try and make £900 for a combi swap and win perhaps 1 out of 4 jobs.

Each to their own though.

"""ignore what Tony has said...???

From my own experiences being called to repair them and from what we read on here the Worcester 24i and the 24i Junior seem less reliable than we would expect.

Tony

Fitz1 - Just the other side of Frodsham.

I think he might have tried to take advantage of the fact the boiler is nearly dead, and thinking he had the job because he came recommended. Fortunately I'm not that naive.

Not saying he is definitely over charging us, but from what others had said (plumber who did the gas hob, and another who did the bathroom, both gas safe), it would be between £1600 and £1800. I am asking them for a quote also.

Just thought I would update the thread.

I asked anither plumber to quote. He has quote £1200 for a Baxi Main 25 eco, and would include the system being flushed and a inhibitor added.

He said if I wanted to go for a Wocester 30CDi it would be an extra £350. So it seems on price the most resent is £650 cheaper. I know it's not always about how cheap things are, but price does matter for me (within reason).

What does everyone think of the Baxi Main 25 Eco?

i fitted a WB 37CDI asa replacement, fiited 9 new TRV's flushed system, added inhibitor, upgraded 7m of gas pipe fitted new room stat for £2500 for a mate

price you got quoted seems fair to me

Well you won't be getting a magnaclean or a digital programmable roomstat for that price unlike your first quote.
You will get a bare bones job. He'll be gone by 4pm.

No digital room thermostat, but I'm not too concerned about that.

What exactly is a magnaclean? Is that essential, or as Agile mentioned above, isn't having the system cleaned the important aspect of the job?

He did say if I wanted the Worcester 30CDi it would be about £1600.

Itas essential that the system is cleaned. How thats done can be the cause of some arguments.

Power flushing is the best way but to be the best it has to be done properly.

Mere flushing can be good or can be virtually nothing.

Both methods need chemicals to be effective and the quality of the chemicals is important.

At the end of the day, an identified installer with a gas number, a name and an address with a landline and telephone book entry implies stability. But its also essentila that they agree in writing to tb totally responsible for any problems relating to dirt in the system.

The boiler manufacturers dont cover system dirt and nor does British Gas or Homeserve insurance cover.

Tony

I got a comedy quote for a similar thing the other day. Thank goodness for this forum - I know that £4500 is way, way over the top.

So, either he doesn't want the job or he thinks that I have "mug" tattooed on my forehead!I don't think the difference is made up for by the 5 TRVs that he was also going to install!

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back