Worcester Danesmoor 20/25 tripping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My oil boiler has developed a problem, it will run for about 5 - 10 mins, the oil pressure drops to zero, flame goes out. fan continues for about 10 secs, about 10 secs later the trip light comes on. The fault finding chart for the 830.3 control box pointed towards a flame sensor fault so I have replaced the flame sensor and control box but the problem persists. I tried bypassing the thermostats but that made no difference. Oil pressure holds steady at 115psi whilst running. Any ideas as there's not a lot left to replace.

Sponsored Links
Pressure dropping to 0 points to a fuel starvation fault rather than a photocell fault. On a BFP pump the oil is pressurised as soon as the pump starts to turn so it would still show pressure even if the solenoid is shut. Usual checks of sufficient oil in tank, oil line and filter clean and clear etc. no air in oil line from running out etc. Bypassing thermostats won't have any correlation to a burner lockout.

The oil pressure is taken just before the burner so after the solenoid, I assumed the solenoid was shutting off when it trips out. There's still a quarter of a tank of oil and I've checked the filter so I don't think there's an oil supply problem.

It sounds like the solenoid coil is failing.....have you tried a spare?
Have you a pressure gauge in the nozzle line here.....it sounds a little unorthodox.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I haven't got a spare coil. The pressure gauge is on a fitting just before the nozzle after the pump.

I'd have to suggest a new coil....even if it isn't the problem, its very useful to have one in stock. They're bloomin' expensive for what they are (£25 ish) and as you get a new one with a pump, it makes the pump seem like good value.
I've a magnetic stick tool thats placed on the coil.....if a magnetic field is there, it lights up - so its obvious to see when the coil fails. A clever bit of kit!
John :)

As you say the coils do seem expensive. I've order a complete pump, will put the bits I don't use away ready for when the next bit breaks!

Thanks

Clem

?
Have you a pressure gauge in the nozzle line here.....it sounds a little unorthodox.
John :)[/quote]

Standard feature on a B11/ EOGB 2011. Very useful on servicing as it means you dont have to keep isolating fuel to put pressure gauge on, and checks solenoid operation. You still have usual ports on pump to check pump before solenoid if you need it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back