Worcester Greenstar CDI - Leaking primary HX - best way forward?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our Worcester Greenstar 42CDI has been losing pressure, and I have confirmed that it is the primary HX / Heatcell. :(

(I checked all the usual suspects first, pressure vessel is OK and precharged to 1bar, relief valve isn't passing, no visible leaks around boiler or CH pipework. The to confirm my worst fears I switched the boiler off at the spur this morning, then when cold, filled the system to 1.5bar and closed the flow and return isolation valves, and ran the condensate drain into a bucket. Result: Pressure drop of about 0.3bar in 2 hours, with a drip every 2 secs into the bucket. Bugger)

So, what's the best way forward? The boiler was in the house when we moved here 4 years ago, and the previous owner was only here for 3-4 years, and he installed the boiler himself (he's a GSR gas fitter by trade), so it is definitely less than 10 years old.
Worcester do guarantee these for 10 years...
https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/gas-boiler-primary-heat-exchanger-guarantee
but I don't have the original installation paperwork / receipt etc. (I am trying to contact the previous owner)
It also hasn't been annually serviced as such - an ex-gas fitter friend has checked it over every year for us, but as he was paid in beer there is no paperwork.

Do I have any chance of blagging this out of Worcester?

I have read elsewhere that Worcester used to offer a fixed-price repair service (£299?), but I can't find this on their website now... As I think I would be over £400 for the part itself, this seems a very good deal, if it is still available.

What do you think I should do from here? (I am confident in changing the HX myself, if that is the cheapest option)

Is a leak such as this repairable? Any compounds that will hold the pressure and stand the heat of combustion?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
for warranty you'd need a full service record from worcester approved agent.
Cant change it yourself as you'd need to set-up combustion ratios to clean heat exchanger with a flue gas analyser and you need to check and be confident on quite a few gas seals.
Never heard of one repaired but I guess a couple of tubes of leak sealer cant really hurt.

for warranty you'd need a full service record from worcester approved agent.
Cant change it yourself as you'd need to set-up combustion ratios to clean heat exchanger with a flue gas analyser and you need to check and be confident on quite a few gas seals.
Never heard of one repaired but I guess a couple of tubes of leak sealer cant really hurt.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I stand a chance with the guarantee then...

Our pal still has all his test gear and is still registered (despite being in a completely different job now), so I'd get him to help me change it and then do the setup, if I were to go that route... (I am an industrial maintenance tech, so good on the tools, but have a HUGE respect for gas (and CO!) so I will NOT mess around and take any risks)

Any recommendation on leak sealer?

Thanks again mate.

To be fair if he is registered and has calibrated equipment and you assist him I cant see an issue. Its 2 2.5 hours of work at a steady pace. I wouldnt bother though, either worcester or british gas will do a fixed price repair for around the same price as the part cost of the heat exchanger with a warranty.

If you want to try leak sealer fernox F4(?), couple of concentrate tubes rear the return but thats a bit of a long shot.

Sponsored Links
If you want to try leak sealer fernox F4(?), couple of concentrate tubes rear the return but thats a bit of a long shot.

Agreed, we've tried this in the past just on the off chance, but it isnt designed to cope with the heat and stress inside the heat exchanger, and has never worked for us. Best course is to call WB out and let them fix it. We've done this on several occasions as its the most cost effective thing to do. The only downside is there have been times at this time of year they (WB) have suspended paid work to cope with the seasonal warranty commitments.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Looks like what you need from what I remember when I've done them. If its genuine.

A lot of manufacturers don't cover the main heat exchanger in their fixed-price repair so if you want an accurate price off them first time you need to come clean. Might be worth trying it on and saying you think it's still under warranty though, see what they say. Either way you can then at least come to an informed decision about what to do next.

If was registered just say it's been serviced.

If you can't wait for the call out as may be busy now, ask them to send the hex and your guy will fit it.

If you go for fixed price it's around £265 and covers main hex. Boiler will have to be in suitable safe location to work on though

If was registered just say it's been serviced.

If you can't wait for the call out as may be busy now, ask them to send the hex and your guy will fit it.

If you go for fixed price it's around £265 and covers main hex. Boiler will have to be in suitable safe location to work on though

I'll give Worcester a call and see what they say.

If not - I will try a £150 fixed price jobber from SSE.
It sounds a bit too good to be true, but I cannot see anywhere in their Ts&Cs on the website where they exclude the main HX. I will ask them to send me the full Ts&Cs before I book anything though.

Thanks for all the advice.

"Hello, this is Bob at Worcester, how can I help you?"

"My primary heat exchanger is leaking, and I believe this is covered under a ten year guarantee"

"Yes, what's your address?"

"123 Blah street"

"Hmmmm, there's no boiler registered there... Have you got the FD code and serial number?"

"Yes, it's blah blah blah"

"OK, I can see that boiler is 7.5 years old and is covered. We will treat it as a breakdown and send an engineer out, as the HX is covered, you will only have to pay for the labour"

"Can I arrange my own gas fitter to do the work?"

"You mean we just send you the part and you arrange to have it fitted?"

"Yes."

"Erm, let me just check with my supervisor....... Yep, that shouldn't be a problem. We will get one sent out to you."

"Erm, wow. Thank you!"

:):):) I am a very happy man, and 10/10 to Worcester for the customer service! (y)

I was NOT expecting that!

We knock Worcester on here a fair bit, but that shows a real class customer response.

Well done, Buster, you got yourself a result.

Echo that here, yes granted there are better boilers and some of their design decisions are a joke. But I've not known any other boiler company come close to them for customer support.

"Hello, this is Bob at Worcester, how can I help you?"

"My primary heat exchanger is leaking, and I believe this is covered under a ten year guarantee"

"Yes, what's your address?"

"123 Blah street"

"Hmmmm, there's no boiler registered there... Have you got the FD code and serial number?"

"Yes, it's blah blah blah"

"OK, I can see that boiler is 7.5 years old and is covered. We will treat it as a breakdown and send an engineer out, as the HX is covered, you will only have to pay for the labour"

"Can I arrange my own gas fitter to do the work?"

"You mean we just send you the part and you arrange to have it fitted?"

"Yes."

"Erm, let me just check with my supervisor....... Yep, that shouldn't be a problem. We will get one sent out to you."

"Erm, wow. Thank you!"

:):):) I am a very happy man, and 10/10 to Worcester for the customer service! (y)

I was NOT expecting that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back