Worcester key filling loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe a silly question.....

Is it possible to loose water through the filling loop on a Worcester key fill boiler?

I have pressure dropping on my combi boiler, having to fill it up every few hours if we want heating, no issues with the pressure relief valve, which would imply a leak, I have had floor boards up with no joy of finding a leak, no visible signs of water damage, next step is to get a thermal imaging camera to try and follow the pipes and find the leak? But was curious if it's possible to loose water back into the cold water feed??

Sponsored Links
Unlikely, why not remove the key as it's not meant to be left in. Have you checked the pressure relief valve correctly by tying a bag to its outlet?, also that the expansion vessel is ok?

What is odd is that I can fill up the boiler if the key is pointing to either of the padlock symbols.... Is this normal

I think I am clutching at straws as I can't find the leak

yes, turning it just locks the key in position to prove it is inserted far enough

Sponsored Links
The key is simply a "bridge" for water flow. Water runs between the black o rings. What Worcester do you have?

If a greenstar id recommend setting the pressure to 1bar exactly and isolating the flow and return over night. Will need to leave the boiler off. In the morning check the pressure. If it's dropped you have a boiler leak. Quite possibly down the condensate if the prv's dry. If the pressure has held and it drops when isolation valves are turned back on then you have a system leak.

If a leak on the system and you can't find it try some fernox F4 leak sealer.

Last edited:
I have had a plumber do this check and it all pointed towards a leak, we tried a sentinel leak sealer which did nothing.... Thermal imaging camera is the next step I think

If a leak on the system and you can't find it try some ferns F4 leak sealer.
don't use that shyte because do you actually know where its going and settling , it never hardly works as it needs to be directed to a certain area to work properly ,its horrible cr@p as you could be causing more problems
I have had a plumber do this check and it all pointed towards a leak, we tried a sentinel leak sealer which did nothing.... Thermal imaging camera is the next step I think
did you isolate the flow and returns overnight ?????

try another engineer who actually mends boilers because he will be able to narrow down the location for you so you/repair engineer can deal with it and not cost you a fortune unnessaraly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back