words, words, words!

oooh..touched a nerve, have i?.........i love doing that.......

you sound just like someone else i know. I become "you lot" for every miserable irritating thing an american does or says...hey we got nutters here too. and it wasnt my idea to call it english...to be fair i think you lot should talk shakespearean and we can have what we call english...

i think someone did it just to wind us up and make for handy arguments about language.

i still like the way you all talk....even if i cant understand what yer talkin about most of the time :)

If it's any consolation I live here (UK) and I can't understand what people are on about half the time. (I would have put England but I don't think that is allowed anymore.)

Sponsored Links
here's good one for you.

my wife is a born american, NY, passport says born in the Bronx.

also because she lived 20yr in sweden, and holds a swedish passport, she is also fluent in swedish.

but Im dammed if she can speak english :eek:

when the thread first started out, it was mentioned the different dialects have their own affair with the language...and tbh, i never thought about the different regions of the UK....i seriously thought all of you sounded like the Queen (once upon a time, not now)...but its just the same here, depending on the region you are from, you might as well be talking greek. At work, I talk to people from New York, California, South Carolina and Florida via the phone and I guess it just becomes normal to listening carefully as to what people are trying to say because besides the accents which are vastly different, we all have our own "pet" names for things....jargon, lingo???cant think of the word...like soda or pop...or go to and go with. :confused: ....unless my life depended on it, its no big deal

oh dear....you'd end up with eye surgery if you hung around these parts for just a little while.(eye rolling) It is a windshield on the car...or automobile...whatever!! I type like I talk ....but I am aware of how to spell correctly...and apparently people in the US dont speak english...we speak american...although we were always told it was english...so I guess we just grate on your nerves in general by butchering your language that you hold so dear. I had no idea that although most of the "things" over there are the same here, they have different words/terms for them. case in point aluminium...i always thought it was spelled (started to type spelt, but held back) wrong on ya'lls side but it really is spelled differently. and I can bet ya'll is really gettin on yer last noive ....believe it or not, it is very annoying when a word is mispronounced regardless of geography....try the word tire over here...or water and no doubt you will hear about 20 some odd pronunciations....rant over :LOL:
You septics are the biggest murderers of the mother tongue of the lot; plus you just grate on us in general :LOL: . Someone pled guilty?! Orient something, that's a region, not an action! Dove into the water?! Wor-cest-er-shire sauce???! Aluminum????! If you type as you speak, how do you enunciate the ellipses [...] that are scattered throughout?

You mean Aloominham ? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
here's good one for you.

my wife is a born american, NY, passport says born in the Bronx.

also because she lived 20yr in sweden, and holds a swedish passport, she is also fluent in swedish.

but Im dammed if she can speak english :eek:

Back