Work on domestic circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , a quick question. I have just been forced into a career change, and i am thinking of returning to fitting alarms. As this involves sometimes making a spur to supply the alarms or even sometimes running complete new radial to the alarm, due to part P rules would i be able to do this.

If not would the only way i would be allowed mean i have to train for several years as an electrician. I have seen courses for kitchen/bathroom fitters but would these courses only allow me to work in the respective locations.

Sponsored Links
spurs, no, providing they are not in special locations...

new circuits, yes..

there is no legal requirement for you to be qualified at all to do electrics..

the self certification schemes will inspect some of your installations ( chicken and egg scenario.. you'll have to notify for the "test" installs ) before you can join to ascertain if you have the level of competence to do the job properly..

Anyone competent can still do electrical work. The difference is whether you notify the local building control or not and getting your work checked after.

If you are simply adding a spur to an exisiting circuit (bearing in mind regulations regarding ground floor sockets) this is classed as minor work and you can do this yourself, but a Minor Works Certificate will still need completing by a qualified person.

If you are installing a new radial circuit (not classed as minor work) you can still do this yourself but you have to notify (and pay) the building Control in advance of the work and they will come and inspect the work on completion.

The only way to avoid getting getting someone to check minor works and avoid having to notify the council is get some qualifications and join a registered competent person scheme.

Thanks, is there a course i can attend such as the one for kitchen/bathroom fitters or would it be the same one

Sponsored Links
If you are simply adding a spur to an exisiting circuit (bearing in mind regulations regarding ground floor sockets) this is classed as minor work and you can do this yourself, but a Minor Works Certificate will still need completing by a qualified person.

Regulations regarding ground floor sockets? Are you sure you don't mean regulations regarding sockets reasonably expected to supply outdoor equipment?
It just appears to be a blanket statement you made covering all ground floor sockets.

It just appears to be a blanket statement you made covering all ground floor sockets

To be fair Gary it was meant to be a blanket statement to emphasise the point that there are regulations which need looking at when adding sockets.

It just appears to be a blanket statement you made covering all ground floor sockets

To be fair Gary it was meant to be a blanket statement to emphasise the point that there are regulations which need looking at when adding sockets.

Only to cover sockets that can reasonably expected to supply outdoor equipment.
For example, a ground floor dining room without an external door which is situated off another room doesn't require RCD protected sockets.

hi me again does anyone know if there is a course i can attend such as the one for kitchen/bathroom fitters or would it be the same one

Not until June, anyway..

Even in June (and for the foreseeable) if cables are deeper than 50mm or mechanically protected with, for example, earthed metallic conduit ;)

Not likely I know but possible.....

There is another rquirement which calls for all general purpose socket outlets of 20A or less to be RCD protected, I beleive

There is another requirement which calls for all general purpose socket outlets of 20A or less to be RCD protected, I believe

Ahh, haven't come across that one yet.
I'm booked on a 17th edition seminar with the ECA later this month so hopefully should give more insight into the major changes.

anyway, bigalert is mostly going to be fitting 3A FCUs, not sockets. No RCD required (or desirable, on an alarm supply)

I wonder if they could be supplied from lighting circuits?

Not until June, anyway..

Even in June (and for the foreseeable) if cables are deeper than 50mm or mechanically protected with, for example, earthed metallic conduit ;)
That's to do with the changes regarding concealed cables.

They are also changing the rules on socket circuits - all to be on RCDs now, not just those reasonably expected etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back