Work Wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am a soldier just about to come out of the Army and i am looking at a new career after 22 years as a Vehicle Mechanic. I am diy competent (IMHO), have completed a few projectsover the years. I know companies that promise the earth with their 6 week courses to make you a qualified plumber but this is nothing as you need experience in any trade. I am after working for someone to gain experience and hopefully gain my self full time employment in a new career. I am live in Lancs, Burnley, can travel. Has anyone anything to offer.

thanks in advance

ian

Sponsored Links
Ian, if you have had 22 years as a vehicle mechanic in the Army then why dont you do the obvious thing and go into the automotive trade in the UK ?

Its one area the East Europeans dont seem to have made much impact.

Tony

Just had a guy working with me who came out of the army. They are paying his wages for 6 months so he came for free. I'm just a one man band and my range of jobs is which he needs to complete his ACS is not as great as a firm who I introduced him to. He's been there for over a month now and is doing well. It's better suited to him as he prefers the regimental 9-5 style of work rather than my 'whenever I feel like starting to whenever I finish' hours of working.
Mechanics are one of the few trades that I reckon can easily slot into the plumbing genre as they have common sense and practical ability. I'd rather see someone like yourself come into the trade rather than a money orientated pen or button pusher so although I can't help you personally I do wish you well in your quest.
I see you have used the internet as a tool which may yet be fruitful but from the above experience I say ' It's not just what you know. It's who you know'
Visit friends and ask if they know anyone. Get out and make more friends and ask them. Pop into your local plumbers merchants late on an afternoon when you find the odd plumber who has time to talk to you while you enjoy a free maxpax drink.
I am assuming of course that you have used the army's services to get some training and advice. I believe you can get an allowance of about £3k for this.

Best of luck!

Sponsored Links
Perhaps not many variable compression engines but about 2 milion diesel lorries and 300,000 buses all to be maintained and repaired.

Most Army tanks in the UK are maintained by civillians anyway. There are also the manufacturers to consider.

Perhaps not in Lancs but certainly in London the bus companies always seem to have vacancies for diesel mechanics.

Getting trained and experienced in the plumbing and gas industry is likely to take up to three years whereas you should be able to walk into any commercial vehicle job tomorrow.

One tank maintenance leader after 24 years walked into a BBC job as the first job he had ever applied for as a house maintenance manager. After NI, Bosnia, Iraq, Afginistan, Iraq again and then he broke his leg running for a number 31 bus just after he left the Army!

Tony

I would agree with Tony - if you are sensible, forget plumbing. If you are a good mechanic then ask at one of the high class auto dealers, eg Audi, VW or merecedes. I bet you could get a job up there no problem and you would have a lot less hassle than being self employed and better pay.

Anyhow, keep us posted what you end up doing!

Apply to the AA. They are always recruiting and with your army background and mechanical knowledge they will snap you up !!

My old manager when i was in the AA was from the army...A tank man.

htgeng said:
I would agree with Tony - if you are sensible, forget plumbing. If you are a good mechanic then ask at one of the ass auto dealers, eg Audi, VW or merecedes. :mad:
Anyhow, keep us posted what you end up doing!
Ya .Heff you das experience on der KDF Vagen :?: ..seriously, Good Luck ;)

hi guys

thanks 4 the support, i am good at my trade but after 22 years of doing it it doesn't flick my switch anymore, where the construction trades seem to give me a buzz. i will keep hunting.

ian

Ian

I have a neighbour who has just left the REME after 22 years as a W02 and he used his resettlement to do a CORGI gas course (dont know what or where) and he now works with a little company going around fitting new build boilers and Megaflows. He likes it he is home by 4 every day and gets to see the kids etc, It cant be that hard can it! No EMPT as on CDO course at Lympstone.

I used my resettlement to do the Offshore survival course in Aberdeen then got a job on a survey ship after 10 years in the REs

My advice would be to go back to college and train as a Plasterer or a Tiler, all the ones I phoned said they where fully booked for 3 - 4 months in advance................

Doubt you will ever be out of work....................... :rolleyes:

My advice ( again ) is to stick to what you are qualified and experienced to do.

There are plenty of jobs on diesel engines for experienced people.

Plumbing is now the preserve of the east europeans !

Tony

I saw a programme recently where they were doing up old WWII tanks.
They were in a tank museum on the I of W.
Maybe a bit from from you but there might be something similar near you.
Just a thought. :)

There is much more work restoring old planes!

Most voluntary though!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back