Workbench frame supported by block on flat on interior garage/retaining wall. DPM or Breathable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a new property and I am looking at converting the detached garage into a workshop.
The garage sits at the bottom of a reasonably steep slope leading up to the house and the rear garage wall doubles up as a retaining wall for the garden behind it.
In order to reinforce the rear wall, the retaining portion has been laid as block on flat, which also leads to me having a handy lip on the inside of the garage on which to support a permanent workbench.
Due to the wall being in direct contact with the earth behind it, I expect there to be some degree of damp/moisture permeating the concrete block (this isn't evident currently, as the garage is well ventilated, but I can imagine it might be more pronounced should airflow be restricted). Therefore, I want to put something between the timber and the concrete to prevent the timber from soaking up any moisture/rotting prematurely.
Would I be better to staple some dpm to the back/underside of the timber, or would breathable membrane be a better option in this circumstance, or is there a better option I haven't considered?
Damp proofing the exterior of the wall isn't really an option currently as it would require significant excavation.

I've attached a rudimentary illustration to better describe what I'm planning to do. Not to scale, obviously!

Any input is much appreciated!
Notes_220612_194007.jpg

Sponsored Links
Did Freddy do those plans? Can't he advise?

Allow me. You want a DPM/DPC material, not breather membrane. Or just pack on tanalised timber or plastic packers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back