Working on a chalet bungalow.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to do a load of work to bring a tatty chalet bungalow up to smartness again so it can be a holiday rental property. ie new bathroom, new kitchen, redecorate throughout, move walls.

Having taken a look today I note the internal walls are all hollow and clad with what feels like thin ply or even hardboard, the ceilings likewise.

Now, they want some internal walls to be removed, so I take it they'll need to get t'council involved for BR approval (?) and I'm happy to give them a ring in advance of that to see what they say. However it occurs to me that those walls are a fire-prevention officer's stuff of nightmares....is it reasonable to expect them to ask that all ceilings be re-done with plasterboard? If so, there's gonna be shed-loads more work to do (hurrah)

Sponsored Links
The wall removal is not necessary controlled work. You are not required to upgrade walls or ceilings to current building regs standards, and even if the wall removal requires an application, the council have no remit to require other work to other things not specifically part of the application.

But in other news, the letting contract and business use of the bungalow will make the owners responsible for the safety of the occupants under other legislation and common law.

That said, anything I do (like adding stud walls in other areas) will have to be done to regs, so won't they be interested in these changes?

Sponsored Links
Unless I end up re-boarding all the ceilings then a 25% rule wont apply. I still hate the idea of hardboard walls, though......if it were mine I'd rip it down and re-clad throughout.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back