Working out power consuption in Amps from a transformer.

With the above in mind, i will fuse down at FCU and run a suitable MCB, but i still need conformation of how to work out the Amps on the transformer? 100w divided by 19v is not right if its 5.26 amps. Should be less than 1 surely in bathroom?

Please can you elaborate?

Not very clear by me - Put it another way, what is limited/reduced in bathrooms to be safe (because of water) Amps or voltage, considering that the shaver socket runs 230v that is why i said is 1Amp OK?

A shaver socket is somewhat of a one off, they have isolating transformers in them. Protection is basically by the means of you will need to have 2 faults in order to get a shock. The circuits supplying class 1 or 2 electrical items in the zones and other metallic items which can introduce potential into the bathroom should be supplementary bonded together (take a look at the wiki) in order to minimise the potential difference which can exist to a safer level. 0.1A is enough to kill, in a bathroom the risk is increased owing to wet bodies and lack of clothing (awaits reply :LOL: )

Lowering the tone are we! I see, off the top of my head my bathroom has no earth bonding as per it was built in 1976.
:(

Sponsored Links
Please note that if you live in England/Wales this work is notifiable to your LABC under part P of the building regs.

I like to find out everything first before doing anything and will run it by an electrician in the family. In regards to notifying LABC, it would have to be done by or signed off by a qualified electrician?

If you sparky relative is a member of a competent person scheme then see if he will do the work for you and notify it. If he isn't then the work needs to be notified to your LABC before it is carried out and their fee paid. It is then up to the LABC to oversee compliance with the building regs.

What do i do about what other DIY owners have done before... ie my outside light i think it wired incorrectly and may not of be notified...
Ideally i need the house testing/checking, advice, sorting and making up to date? or not? ... as per many homes im sure!

You need to do all the earthing and bonding before you carry out any alterations or additions to existing circuits. The supplementary bonding should also be put in place before the circuits are added in the bathroom. Ask your sparky relative about getting a PIR done or even if he can come and inspect the existing wiring and give you some idea what is sound. Sorry about lowering the tone, there used to be a member on here that jumped on that one at every opportunity :LOL: .

You need to do all the earthing and bonding before you carry out any alterations or additions to existing circuits. The supplementary bonding should also be put in place before the circuits are added in the bathroom. Ask your sparky relative about getting a PIR done or even if he can come and inspect the existing wiring and give you some idea what is sound. Sorry about lowering the tone, there used to be a member on here that jumped on that one at every opportunity :LOL: .

The worrying thing is that the CU was changed less than 5years ago, i would of thought that it would have been spotted then, or the doggy heating wiring? But the neighbour (he doesn't miss much) says it was prob friends/DIY that did it (like the lethal heating wiring) Don't get me started on what they had done in the kitchen.....

Sponsored Links
Part P only came into force in Jan 2005, as of then the notification of certain works became law. Before this time domestic electrical work was not controlled. A reputable spark who works to BS7671 would have issued and EIC and checked all the circuits, bonding etc so it is probably sounding more and more like it was DIY'd.
Like I say, see if your relation sparky can have a peep.

Part P only came into force in Jan 2005, as of then the notification of certain works became law. Before this time domestic electrical work was not controlled. A reputable spark who works to BS7671 would have issued and EIC and checked all the circuits, bonding etc so it is probably sounding more and more like it was DIY'd.
Like I say, see if your relation sparky can have a peep.

Thanks. Far better to be safe than sorry. If i remember rightly he was taking a course on being part P competent (may not be the right turn of phrase) he's going to love me with all the questions....

I prob wouldn't want to do this (electrician) as a job but would love to be qualified to be able to do my own work.

after a google this came up!
http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/trad...llers-course?gclid=CLOW1ruPiJACFQdEMAod1QGLjw

Being qualified and complying with the building regs notification are two different things. If I need to do work in my own home to remain within the law I need to notify Copeland LABC and pay their fee before I carry out the work. They can then oversee the compliance with Part P, tho I would do the work and certify it to BS7671 myself.
If I did domestics all the time it would be more financially viable to become a member of a competent person scheme such as NICIEC, ECA, NAPIT, ELECSA, BSI etc who will allow me to self certify compliance with the building regs, but at this moment in time it is not worth my while.

If I need to do work in my own home to remain within the law I need to notify Copeland LABC and pay their fee before I carry out the work. They can then oversee the compliance with Part P, tho I would do the work and certify it to BS7671 myself.
If I did domestics all the time it would be more financially viable to become a member of a competent person scheme such as NICIEC, ECA, NAPIT, ELECSA, BSI etc who will allow me to self certify compliance with the building regs, but at this moment in time it is not worth my while.

I See. It is all in place of course to stop idiots. I know more than most DIY'ers if i do say so myself to know that my house is prob in need of some touching up if you like, but it's annoying to find out that has been done before me is prob wrong :( .

Still as you say one step at a time and will ask said electrician...

The BIG problems is there are many out there that won't even ask and just do it.......tut tut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back