Extractot fan dead, centre light working, DC voltage shows 0

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ageing extractor fan above a shower that goes into the loft. It has a two pin centre bulb which only comes on when the extractor is switched on. That continues to work. I thought I'd use a multimeter to check the DC power output in the transformer in the loft and can't work out why it always shows 0v. The meter is working - it measure the main voltage (as 330V which I understand to be correct) and I can test AA batteries with it ok. I plan on just changing the unit anyway but though I'd ask a) what am I doing wrong or b) could the transformer be at fault? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Make and model of components?

Sponsored Links
It might be related to this thread which has just shown up as a similar thread.

Photo of the transformer attached - looks DC to me

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 43
It might be related to this thread which has just shown up as a similar thread.

Looks like mains 230vac imo with 12v step down transformer for the lighting. No mention of 330v anywhere.

It's either busted, or it doesn't output anything until a suitable load is connected.
Given it's age, busted is most likely.

Either way, it's years past the time to sling that and the halogen lamp away and fit an LED instead.

If you want to keep the existing fitting, then a LED lamp and suitable LED driver will be required.

Thanks everybody. It's definitely AC then. I\m looking at this replacement:

It seems to be high quality. I just need the unit though and not the fixing kit. And it doesn't say what the power supply is. Chatting to their support but they are unable to help! I think it's 240V so I need to check the circuit is on the RCD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back