Working with hardwood (Greenheart & Purpleheart)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...

I'm hoping you guys can help me with a little project I've started working on to make a coffee table out of hardwood. The wood I've bought is Greenheart and Purpleheart. Both types came from a local wood recycling store. I've got 4 pieces of Purpleheart use to be used on the decking of Brighton pier; 3 pieces of Greenheart looks like a couple of off cuts.

The dimensions of the wood are...
PURPLEHEART
127x12x4.5 (X3)
100x12x4.5

GREENHEART
98x23x11.5
65x23x8 (X2)

The plan is to use the longest piece of Greenheart in the middle of the table top that is sandwiched either side by the Purpleheart. I think the contrasting colour will look pretty good. As the Greenheart is thicker than the Purpleheart I'll be joining the pieces of the Purpleheart together to make two lengths of it (dimensions 100x12x9). The two short pieces of Greenheart will be used as the legs with them running horizontally underneath the width of the table top. As the Greenheart will be thicker than the Purpleheart there will be a "channel" cut away in the legs that the Greenheart will fit into that will enable the Purpleheart to rest against the top of the legs. The dimensions of it once complete will be approx 98x67x32. I've knocked up a diagram of how I want it to look if anyone wants to see it.

The reason I'm asking you all for help is that I've heard that these types of wood can be difficult to work with due to their hardness. I'm going to need to cut most of the wood to size as well as sanding and joining together. My questions are:

1. I have access to a table saw but what blade should I use to cut such tough wood? I take it that it'll need to be a carbide blade. Any links to sites that sell them will be useful.

2. What should I use to sand the wood to take it down to clean wood? Should I plain it instead? I've got a sheet sander (which I guess won't to a whole lot against this wood) as well as a angle-grinder. The guy at the wood yard recommended using an angle grinder with a sanding head. Again, any links to sites that sell the type of thing I should go for would be good.

3. Is there any particular type of wood glue to use to join the Purpleheart together?

Also, if anyone has any tips or advice on how to do all of this it would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I should look into buying any additional tools that would help with the job.

Thanks for your help,
Stuart

Sponsored Links
You will need a table saw with a 300mm dia blade to give enough depth of cut to go through th egreenheart, Something like a 24 general purpose blade will do and as you say TCT, have a look at screwfix, wealden tools, axminster power tools.

Unless you want a very rustic looking table you will have to plane the surfaces particularly the ones that are to be glued so that you get a nice tight joint. Ideally an electric planer/thicknesser is what you need then the surface can be sanded before applying a finish.

Either a PU (polyurethane) glue or alphatic resin such as "Titebond" will do, the PU will help fill any gaps if you handplane the joints and don't get them perfect.

You may find it better asking on a woodworking forum such as this one

Jason

Thanks for the reply Jasonb. I'll have a look at the other forum.
Thanks

Both Greenheart and Purpel heart (also known as Lapacho or Ipe) can give allergic reactions (skin iritations) espceccially the saw- and sand dust.
Saw and sand dust will look greenish or purlpe (hence the names) like curry.
There's also a chance that when applying a finish on the wood the colours can 'mix', so be aware of that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys...even the ones about curry! :D

Stu_UK said:
.............2. What should I use to sand the wood to take it down to clean wood? ................

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Look here for greenheart and note the potency level, then look here for loads of information on what to do about it. I suggest you spend the time to read lots if you are thinking of sanding the stuff, and consider the health of those you live with before you do. I don't see a dust mask as a solution, as the dust needs to be trapped at source, otherwise it goes indoors on your clothes, and then you take your mask off.

Doing the work outside is a low cost and effective option, WITH vacuum extraction. To save in the first instance you can get a pretty good cyclone to save your vac filters by using a Dyson DC04 cyclone. I got some from EBAY for a few pounds.

I am sure I read a few years ago that a greenheart splinter either causes blood poisoning or can induce gangrene, I hope I've been reading too much .....................

oilman said:
I am sure I read a few years ago that a greenheart splinter either causes blood poisoning or can induce gangrene, I hope I've been reading too much .....................
splinters of this wood tend to 'crawl' in instead of out, nasty.

Hi Stuart

Did you manage to cut it in the end , I am considering to cut the pieces
I have , from a fire-damaged pier, 1 piece 7 X 8 X 80 inches and another same length, but only 3 inches thick.
I'm a hobby woodturner and need to gut it into smaller lengths,but dont have an electric saw table. A bandsaw with a small throat wont manage it just on the size aspect.
Any tips

Cheers
Jeff

Got an Evolution hand held circular saw this morning,multi-material blade already fitted.
Its done the job.
£49 at screwfix,cheaper that a bigger bandsaw.Thanks anyway for the comment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back