Workmate Jaw/Top Replacemant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I Have a Workmate and the top is in a pretty poor state. As the base is still in good condition, I would like to replace the top with hardwood.

The question is, which is the best hardwood to use.

Any ideas would be a great help. Thanks.

Salem.

Sponsored Links
My Workmate gets dragged around and generally treated pretty badly. For that reason I'd probably go for a birch plywood top rather than hardwood. If nothing else it will probably be more stable than solid wood, not to mention stronger. If you must go for hardwood I'd suggest the same sort of timber you'd use for a workbench top, something fine-grained and closed pored, e.g. beech, maple, sycamore, etc.

Scrit

use the old top as a template drill through the the holes

the spade bit i used was metric so the peg holes where extremly tight
tried on a scrap to use the next size up [2mm more] but that was very unsatisfactory as it left the pegs to loose
so make shure you have the correct imperial size or some course sand paper :rolleyes: ;)

Sponsored Links
OK thanks for the ideas guys. As it would be difficult finding good quality ply in my area in small sizes, I will prob go for the hardwood.

Thanks for the tips

Salem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back