Workshop heat retention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased a house and moved in with the best benefit being a 6 meter by 5 meter workshop at the bottom of the garden.

Now, upon moving in and closer inspection, there are a few issues. Doors don't fit, security is a major issue due to door frame rot etc. These issues, I can deal with.

The temperature in this workshop is around 1 degree when the outside is 10/15/20 degrees. It is built one skinny breezeblock thick all the way around with supporting pilars in the corners. Now, I want to use this for some computers, tv's and some serious server hardware however the building is causing condensation.

I have read the condensation posts and realise that I need to raise the temperature however here is where I fall down.

How can I complete the build of this workshop? How do I insulate the walls? If I just get plasterboard and put it on the walls, does this retain heat? The roof is open with support beams on show throughout able to see up to the peak of the pointed roof. Plasterboard the roof and insulate there? Floor is solid mortar, not necessarily level. Do underlay and carpet hold in the heat?

I really need a priority list of which will do the best job as I am low funded due to the house purchase and need to make this room habitable as soon as possible. I also need to vent the brick work somewhere and a any advice about where I should position the vents would be good (top middle bottom / corners, middle of the wall etc)

Thanks guys and gals, I'm a very amateur DIYer but recently things have been going really well. I'm confident but cautious as the moment :)

Take care!

Sponsored Links
Basically you need to to batten out the walls, put in 2"+ of foam insulation VPM + plasterboard. Then a false ceiling with VPM +6" of glass fibre over it and a false floor with 2" of foam with P5 flooring grade chipboard and a DPC membrane directly over the concrete floor. Not a trivial task, not cheap. if not done properly you will regret it - too hot in summer and too cold in winter.
Why do you need to ventilate the walls?
Frank

Why do you need to ventilate the walls?
Frank
Errrm dunno? Just the air is stagnant and figured it needed circulating?

Apologies but I have no idea what a VPM is but if I have a 2 inch increase on the floor and underlay + carpet, isn't it going to be like a bouncy castle, even with the chipboard?

The room was used by the previous owner for a pool table and therefore have no idea how he played as it was 18 degrees outside today but only 4 degrees inside the shed.

Sponsored Links
Bump : unsure about the bmp stuff and still need a ranking system of most effective to least effective please.

Will thank all who respond with relevant posts ;)

Bump : unsure about the bmp stuff and still need a ranking system of most effective to least effective please.
What does this sentence mean?
ok, sorry for not being clear + autocorrect. I don't know what VPM, stated in a previous comment, means and Google hasn't helped.

I need to know what's going to make the biggest change out of my options. Does plasterboarding the wall with insulation work more effectively than plasterboarding the ceiling or carpetting the floor?

i think the OP means Vapour Proof Membrane-not BMP(?)

i think also that he is asking for a scale of efficiency for some sort of heating device.. from burning twigs in a baked bean can to nuclear reactors and everything inbetween..?

i have a picture of the sun for sale which might make you feel some what warmer?

If you intend using this space for storing and using sensitive electronic equipment, then you need to think seriously about your re-furb.

Expect to pay upwards of £250p/m² for a very basic job.

The correct terminology is VCL or vapour control layer.

As it's 30m2 that'd set me back 7500. Assuming you didn't include labour in that, as it's a diy forum, I'm totally screwed.

Time to weep in a corner.

tissues1.jpg

As it's 30m2 that'd set me back 7500. Assuming you didn't include labour in that, as it's a diy forum, I'm totally screwed.
No, that includes labour.

However, the figure covers building work and not electrics or plumbing and is very low-end.

Get them tissues out..... :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back