Workshop Roof Support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Building a workshop/shed in garden. Have used concrete blocks to form walls and have now reached point where a roof needs to be considered!! I'm thinking a concrete lintel to span doorway? Overall width is 3.05m and door opening is 2.42m as I have 'rescued' a set of patio doors.
The lintel I've seen is 4in x 2in and 3m in length - do I just sit this on a bed of mortar each end and then run a course of house bricks along the top of the lintel in order to get a pitch to the rear? As the lintel is 3m and the width 3.05m will this matter?

I'd also appreciate advice on how to lay/hang the roof joists - was thinking of getting joist hangers but any other options would be welcome.

I have no building experience so any help would be appreciated :) Have a attached a pic of progress so far!

Attachments

• Workshop.jpg
    Workshop.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links
I think the concrete lintel you describe would be a 100 x 65, but no way would it span across 3m and support the back of the roof joists.
Just use a double roof joist as a beam over the gap and put joist hangers on for the roof joists.

You could span the doorway with some double joists, but you would need to say what you are actually trying to achieve rather than just plonking a roof on.

Sponsored Links
Hi, its a flat roof with a small pitch from front to back. I have a velux to go in and other than that its purely to keep the space dry as i'll have some bike tools in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back