Workshop Wobble !!!!!

cwm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am in the process of making my workshop,8mx6mx4m to pitch of roof.

when on the roof putting up osb roof boards and felt shingles the structure wobbles slightly when walking around the roof.

at present there are no sides on workshop,so when i have put the sides on(t&g),will this eliminate the wobble when the sides are strengthened?

pic below
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8025/workshop8ay6.jpg

Sponsored Links
Normally with a timber frame you fix 8x4 sheets to the vertical studs externally and plasterboard internally, and this will stop the wobble (ie provide racking resistance)

I'm not sure T&G will provide adequate resistance on their own, and you will need large 8x4 OSB or ply sheets fixed to the studs first (on both sides), and then the T&G on laths after the breather membrane

But having said that, the studwork does seem a bit random!

Putting the roof on will have stiffened it. Boarding up the sides will stiffen it some more.

It is probably not designed for walking about on top of, though.

As woody says, big boards will stffen it more than T&G or shiplap. If you are not using sheet materials, some diagonals will hold it square.

thanks for the quick replys,

my idea was to t&g exterior,to make it water tight,

then board internally at a later date,
after adding insulation.

but inbetween adding internal boards it would be worth my time putting in some diagonal stiffeners?

Sponsored Links
yes

if it wobbles it will loosen all the nails and joints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back