Worktop lighting (under wall units)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on ways to run wiring for worktop (under wall unit) lights?

We're gonna install a new kitchen soon and have 20w (12v) worktop lights than come with a small transformer (2 lights per tranny).

I guess i could either plug these into a normal socket which i think would look naff, or maybe run the cables to a switched fused spur which would look better.

I don't really want to see the cable flex to the lights if at all possible.

Above the worktop we'd have a 70mm splashback and maybe 2 layers of tiles to finish it off. The tiles may well go just above the top of the row of sockets.

Any info on this would be great.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Lots of u/c lights seem to have a sfc on top of cabinets and cable run down behind.Worth thinking about.

Install a Switched fused spur from a socket, connect your tranny to this, then tile/plaster over, job done :D

Wire a fcu from a socket and place it above the cupboard keeping your cables in the safe zones and fusing the fcu appropriately.
From this drop your cables back down the back of the cupboards and run them around the inside of the pelmet under your cupboards.
Take care if you haven't already mounted your cupboards that you position them so the screws will not penetrate your new wiring. i.e. cupoard edge not in vertical line with a socket outlet.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back