worktop sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to seal the underside of a laminated worktop from moisture? Is it varnish, paint or silicon etc. This is for the underside of the ends of a worktop not the postformed front which has the laminate rolled under. I have used silicon before but it eventually came off.

Sponsored Links
There should be no need to seal it. The underside of any reasonable worktop has an applied material which should be sufficient for the task. It's the rear edges where the worktop has been scribed to the wall which need the protection of silicon. The only time you need to add any protection to the underside of a worktop is when a built-under drop-door dish washer or washing machine is installed in which case the manufacturer should supply ally protective tape to cover the joint before the appliance is installed in the hole

Scrit

Thnks for that,. This is actually to seal the underside of a combined peninsular/breakfast bar unt which has been made from a standard piece of worktop, cut and edged on three sides. I have decided to prime the underside with PVA and then put on a layer of silicone.

Sponsored Links
davecooper said:
This is actually to seal the underside of a combined peninsular/breakfast bar unt which has been made from a standard piece of worktop, cut and edged on three sides. I have decided to prime the underside with PVA and then put on a layer of silicone.
Your worktop will still have the backing on it. If you use PVA make sure it is D3 (exterior grade) as kitchens are damp places and D2 (interior grade) can redisolve over time. Personally I don't like the tactile "sensation" of silicone. If you insist on sealin the underside why not paint it with something like black gloss paint before installing it? Nicer to touch IMHO

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back