Worktops, mitres and cutouts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished my mason's mitres on my white laminate worktops. Very difficult :oops: . but now perfect with a lot of reading on this forum. I am now about to make the openings for sink etc with my router. Could not bear to use any type of saw incase I ruin it after it took ages to do the joints. What is best silicone or adhesive for the joints and opening cut edges?.
Also when moving and test fitting them about 50 times I have a small chip out of the surface at the back. I have the chip and it fits perfectly. What glue to put it back? PVA, no more nails or something else?

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
for years all ive done is use pva to seal the raw edges on worktops,others use varnish/silicone etc.
you might have to gently pare off any chipboard that is still stuck to your chip piece so the glue wont make it stick up,or buy some color fill lamita repaire,it comes in all sorts of colours or you could try just plain old white silicone to disguise the chip.

Thanks gregers, I did have to take a scalpel to the underside of the chip to get is nice and flat. I think PVA wood glue will be better than no more nails because it is a bit thinner. Will use PVA for the cut edges. What about the joints? After 2 days work they do seem pretty perfect so there should not be any filling of errors to do. PVA, Clear silicone?

well i use the correct shade of colour fill to fill any defect that may be there,remember water does have the tendency to try and find its way in when you dont want it and ruin all your hard work,the trouble with silicone is when your cleaning the worktop it could be pulled out.

Sponsored Links
OK,
PVA for cut edges, white Colour fill for joints.
I am struggling to find colour fill. Who makes it / where stocks it?
Also is pva ok for the Induction hob cutout above oven? Heat?

And yes I would be gutted if water penetration damaged the worktops after it took me days to do the joints. :eek:

Thanks for the help.

No, PVA doesn't go soggy of it gets wet after it's cured.

No more than concrete would go sloppy in the rain after it's set hard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back