Worn in trowel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have any pointers for getting a trowel to wear in quickly without going on cement work etc.
The pre "worn-in" trowels on sale don't give the same finish as your old trusty do they!
I was going to leave it in water for a few days to roughen it up a bit.
Any helpers would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don’t really see how leaving it in water is going to help; if it’s not stainless steel, it will just go rusty & that’s the last thing you want. A well broken in trowel has a nice smooth radius on the extreme edges & is very slightly bowed. I’ve looked at getting a new pre-worn as my current 4 year old trusty started life as an ordinary DIY chepo & the soft grip disintegrated at least 2 years ago; but it’s so good to use now, I’m reluctant to swap it. I’ve never used a pre-worn trowel so I don’t know how they compare but looking at them, they just seem to be slightly bent & have the edges rather roughly ground away; not sure I’d pay the extra for that! You could try working the edges of the trowel on some sheets of 120 grit wet/dry paper stapled to a piece of plywood but that won’t give you the bow, only continued use will do that.

i was a big ragni and tyzack fan until marshaltown pre-worn came along.

the steel they use is remarkable. i also have a m.t. brickies trowel.

go for a stainless one, though. ;)

Marshalltown pre worns are the bees knees, expensive but I think fully justified. If you can afford it get a pre worn trowel. Over the last year I had to throw out the old trusty trowels (both Marshalltown) and the switch to the new trowels was hardly noticeable, slight difference in balance and grip but with the pre worn I was straight into it. Couldn't recommend them highly enough enough.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.
I think I'll treat myself to a worn-in one this weekend, then get a trowel on my way home!!
:LOL:
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back