Worried about my girth! Is 10 mm2 enough for 10.8 kw?

I think you are confusing your reference methods, cables directly in plaster are ref method 1 (install meth2), not 4 (install meth 15), incidentally putting it in trunking would probably make it 3 (install meth 7)

For 10mm² Sheathed PVC

Ref 4 - 43A
Ref 3 - 52A
Ref 1 - 63A

Sponsored Links
lol. Dont give the advice if you have not got the answer i say, chris do you work in the game. just imagine all the wasted trunking??????????

Chri5 said:
Funny, since I've seen plenty of your posts and peeps here have been more than helpful to you, could you not attempt a bit of humility and reciprocation?

I was helping him out Chris. I told him exactly where to find the answer. Maybe you should take a look too. ;)

Chri5 said:
Lets see if any of the site guru's such as C&G want to come back with other considerations :LOL:

Well, if you like, I'll put me two pence in.

In = 40A

Ci = 0.5 (Thermal Insulation correction factor)
Cg= 0.94 (Grouping correction factor)

40/(0.5x0.94) = 85

Therefore 16mm is needed if the OP wants to follow his proposed route.

Chri5 said:
Deep chase the wall and fit the trunking and bury it.
Keep the 10mm sq as the only cable in the trunking.

This is a complete joke. As Ricicle has pointed out, burying cable in plaster is ref method 1. It has no adverse affects on the current carrying capacity of the cable. Burying 40X20mm trunking in the wall to provide space for the cable is laughable. I didn't post originally because I didn't want to post something stupid like you! :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
So what exactly constitutes a thermal wall, and Why is thermal insulation any different to brick and plaster?

I was concerned because most things I come across explicitly say "tacked on to wall", or "in trunking" therby I presumed, excluding anything in plaster.

To clarify,

13 meter long Cable, run in plaster, run separate to my extractor fan spur, and run above loft insulation tacked to beems will allow me to use the 10 mm and not have to use the 16mm2?

So much conflicting advice... Thank you all anyway.

Installation method one: Sheathed cables clipped direct to or lying on a non-metallic surface: Appropiate reference method: Method 1

Installation method two: Sheathed cables embedded directky in masonry, brickwork, concrete, plaster or the like (other than thermally insulating materials): Appropiate referenence method: Method 1

Installtion method 15: Sheathed cables installed directly in an thermally insulating wall, or above a thermally insulating ceiling, the cable being in contact with a thermally conductive surface on one side (otherwise as Reference method 4): Appropiate reference method: Method 4 (or method 15 for cable type covered by Table 4D5A)

Table 4D5A is actually specially for flat T+E and I should have probably used that instead of 4D2A like I used earlier (figures from 2A are lower anyway, so I was not being dangerous by doing that!), anyway, figures are 64A for ref meth 1, and 47A for install method 15

Avoid the insulation totally and you should be alright, how are they grouped? are they just bundled together, or just clipped next to each other? and if so, touching or not? Might be able to forget the fan cable under the 1/3 rule, you have got quite a lot of leaway if you use method one and avoid the insulation

obmitty said:
To clarify,

13 meter long Cable, run in plaster, run separate to my extractor fan spur, and run above loft insulation tacked to beems will allow me to use the 10 mm and not have to use the 16mm2?

So much conflicting advice... Thank you all anyway.

Yes! I told you that in the other thread you made and I also edited my post in this thread to make it easier to understand. 10mm² is fine if you just pull it out of the insulation.

ayen said:
lol. Dont give the advice if you have not got the answer i say, chris do you work in the game. just imagine all the wasted trunking??????????

Was simply trying to offer a solution that allowed the 13m run to be based on 10mm sq TE.

A solution was reached, which has adjusted the original answer down from 16mm sq to the 10mm sq the OP has.

I was having some blond moments, so sorry for that.

I do wish you guys would enter in to the helpful spirit of such forums. CG students initial reply was poor and not helpful until pushed, then his final answer was what should have been offered initially.

I've re-read my books and silly me :rolleyes: I am now clear on cable correction factors for TE in plaster and the ref methods.

So thanks for the nudge, which again I could moan about the method it was done and the baying pack of useless critic offered.

Some round here are very quick to jump on high horses, I hope none of you suffer from altitude poisoning :LOL:

The posters of joy, the one's that post and offer great advice, please continue to do so.

The one's that offer nothing aside from smart 4rsed remarks come across as simple post whores.
I was always taught (must have been old school) that if you have nothing of use to say or post, then say or post nothing- easy really.

Take care and have a good weekend, be safe and please try to add value rather that simple, sad admonishment to a thread ;)

i help but if you post in a matter of fact way like you did expect to get a ribbing for it.

If you are a spark should no that run in plaster is different than run in thermal insul.
Have a good weekend as well and take the ribbing like a spark should ,if you are one .

Ayen, I am indeed a NICEIC DISQ person, along side being a plumber, a comms and data person, a TV distribution installer, a operations manager, a project manager, a bid manager and various other hats being worn after being on tools for 30 years.

Why do you continue to post your doubts, or is my 'blond' moment an indication in your eyes that such a fundamental error can only mean I'm not worthy :rolleyes:

I have no need to prove myself to you, I do resent the insinuation and would ask you to desist from making uneducated comments regarding someone who you do not have any knowledge of, other than via one wrongly commented on post.

If you are a spark should no that run in plaster is different than run in thermal insul.

As a gentle bit of education for you, no = negative, the opposite of yes.
Know, as in knowledge is spelt 'know' not 'no'

Hopefully you may have learnt something :LOL:

Are we really getting as childish as one of the other forums on here pulling each other up for incorrect spelling and grammar? :rolleyes:

Tut, tut, RF! Hope you're adding value to this thread with that comment...!!

:LOL:

Chri5 said:
As a gentle bit of education for you...
Have some of your own medicine - "ayen" is all in lowercase.

Hopefully you may have learnt something
smack.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back